Engineering Technology Department
Drafting Design Technology Program:
Program Mission Statement
The Drafting Design Technology (DDT) Program is an application-orientated program. The mission of the program is to meet the drafting design technology manpower needs of the State of Louisiana and the nation as a whole by producing graduates that possess the skills and knowledge that are necessary to be productive practicing Drafting Design Technologists.
Program Educational Objectives
- To prepare graduates who demonstrate knowledge of content that support professional competencies, skills, and abilities in the field of drafting design technology and related areas.
- To prepare graduates who continuously develop skills in problem solving, teamwork, and communication to effectively support and interface with engineering technologist, technicians, and engineers from technical disciplines.
- To prepare graduates who understand their professional and ethical responsibilities.
- To prepare graduates who understand the need for life-long learning, diversity, and knowledge of professional, societal, and global issues.
Program outcomes for the graduates of the Drafting Design Technology Program are as follows:
- an ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools in drafting design technology practice
- an ability to apply current knowledge and adapt to emerging applications of mathematics, science, and engineering technology.
- an ability to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments, and apply experimental results to improve processes
- an ability to apply creativity in the design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to program educational objectives
- an ability to function effectively on teams
- an ability to identify, analyze and solve technical problems
- an ability to communicate effectively
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- an ability to understand professional, ethical and social responsibilities
- a respect for diversity and a knowledge of contemporary professional, societal and global issues
- a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
Students in the Drafting Design Technology Program will use the modern technology of Computer-Aided Drafting and Design to develop graphic representations of buildings, machine elements and mechanical systems.
In addition to the required fundamental engineering technology and concentration core courses the program allows students to select technical and free electives. Students are advised to take appropriate electives with the guidance and approval of their academic advisors and department head.