Transfer Student

Students who have attended a regionally, accredited institution since graduating from high school are considered transfer applicants. In order to be admitted, transfer applicants must:

  • submit an application fee of $20,
  • submit proof of immunization, and
  • submit official transcript from EACH regionally, accredited institution attended, regardless if credits appear on another transcript. An official transcript is defined as one mailed directly from one institution to another. It bears the institution's seal, signature of the registrar, the date of issuance, and is issued to Grambling State University – Office of Admissions. (Note: A sealed transcript issued to the student is not official; it must be issued to us), and
  • have earned at least 18 semester hours of college-level course work (excluding developmental courses) – Note: Student must have completed a college-level English and math course designed to fulfill general education requirement, and
  • have earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on college-level courses, and
  • be in good standing and eligible to return to the last college or university of attendance

If the transfer applicant has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on college-level work and has earned less than 18 semester hours of course work (excluding developmental courses), the applicant must meet the admission criteria for new first-time freshmen. NOTE: The applicant will be admitted as a transfer student, but will be evaluated using the new freshman criteria.

All transfer coursework will appear on the GSU transcript.  Credit is given for courses, taken at a regionally accredited institution, in which a grade of “C” or better was earned.  The appropriate department head determines if an accepted courses will be used toward a degree. The equivalence of a course taken at an institution within the Louisiana system is determined by the Board of Regents transfer articulation matrices, and Grambling State University.  All other course equivalences are determined by the appropriate department head. We do not accept credits earned at institutions not regionally accredited.

NOTE: You can access the transfer articulation matrices that indicate the correlation of courses among Louisiana’s public colleges and universities by going to the Board of Regents website and viewing the Master Course Articulation Matrix.

Minimum College-Level Hours Earned


Student must have completed a college-level English and Math.
Minimum GPA on College-Level Courses 2.0 GPA
Standing Eligible to return to previous school
AGE 21 - 25
Freshmen:  Must meet the minimum freshman admission standards in place at the time of graduation from high school.
Freshmen:  Degree-seeking applicants who are 25 years of age or older may be admitted without meeting the core requirements of a traditional new freshman, and without submitting ACT scores.  However, for placement in appropriate English and mathematics courses, placement examinations will be administered and the results will be used to determine course entry level.

Click here for PDF

Transfer Statuses

Regular Transfer status will be given to all transfer students who meet the basic admission requirements, and who have:

  • a cumulative GPA on college-level coursework of at least 2.0, and
  • the required hours of college-level coursework, and
  • are eligible to return to the last institution of attendance.

Probationary Transfer status will be given to all transfer students who have received an admission exception to the minimum GPA requirement of 2.0.  Probationary transfer students will be given one semester in which to bring the cumulative GPA up to 2.0.

Provisional Transfer status will be given to all transfer students prior to completion of the semester in which they are currently enrolled, who meet the requirements of a Regular Transfer.  Receipt of updated transcript (official) will be required before the provisional status is changed to regular transfer status.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Transfer credits will be evaluated for coursework shown on official transcripts. Transfer credits will be added to the permanent record only for persons who are admitted as degree-seeking students. All courses will be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average.


Note: Falsification of any information or intentional omission of information may lead to refusal of admission or dismissal from the university, if admitted.


An articulation agreement is a contract that sets forth the terms and conditions of students’ transfer to Grambling State University.

Articulation between institutions of higher education means transferring credit for courses and/or programs from one institution to another without misinterpretation. You are responsible for making sure that you are taking the appropriate courses for transfer to another institution. Students should check the current catalog for the latest course information and course prerequisite requirements.

The ultimate goal of articulation is to help you become an educated and productive student, knowledgeable in your chosen field of study without having to take a course again after you transfer to get credit toward your bachelor's degree.

Articulation Agreements

Louisiana Board of Regents Statewide Student Transfer Guide

Please visit the Regents’ Master Course Articulation Matrix for guidance on transferring to Grambling State University from another Louisiana institution.

Louisiana Transfer Associate Degrees (AALT/ASLT)

The GSU Louisiana Transfer Associate Degree website can be used to help you plan for your transfer to Grambling State University. You should begin using the information contained in this website as soon as you have declared a major at the community college. Students should consult with the advisor at the community college to ensure that the appropriate courses are being taken.

Organizational Leadership Program

The purpose of the Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership with a concentration in Human Relations is to train people to coordinate, facilitate, and implement integrated policies and procedures to help build successful businesses, associations, educational institutions and other organizations. (more info...)