Orchesis Dance Company
Dance Minor Performance Justification
Orchesis Dance Company (ODC) is one of the most promising components of Grambling State University’s Extra Curriculums and has been an outstanding ambassador for Louisiana while representing the State at performances in Japan and throughout America, from New York to California and most recently in Ohio.
No less than 100% effort is required each day in order to make the performance experience enjoyable and successful, therefore the Orchesis Dance Company and the Dance Curriculum is an ideal accommodation for a well rounded Dance Minor.
Performance Opportunities will include:
- Traveling extensively with the GSU Tiger Marching Band, performing at “Half Time” during Athletic events.
- Performing in Program/Concert events on and off campus during the school year, such as: Coronations, GSU Basketball teams Black and Gold Game, Pageants, Black History Month, Talent Shows, Community, Public School and Church performances.
- Opportunities to seek exposure for growth by attending concerts and taking classes at other Dance Studios or Dance Schools.
- Interactions with other university dance organizations, as a member of the Black College Dance Exchange (BCDE). Meeting during the second weekend in April to exchange ideas, collaborate, and gain greater insight into world of dance through classes given by professionals in all forms of dance. As host, students gain experience in organizing and conducting dance functions.
- Opportunities to study with professionals in all forms of Dance. ODC will host its forth Annual Summer Dance Workshop, extending an invitation to any interested male or female willing to dedicate time and a concentrated effort to learn the structured discipline of Dance.
- Represent Grambling State University in the opening production dance for Krew of Harambee’s Annual Mardi Gras Ball.
Orchesis achievements and highlights:
- 100% graduation rate over the past 20 years.
- Performed overseas in Japan with the Grambling State University World Famed Tiger Marching Band, December 1989.
- Performed “Dancing in The Streets” live with Martha and The Vandellas in the 1998 Super bowl half-time show in san Diego, California with the GSU Marching Band.
- Performed during half-time at the Seattle Sea Hawks Football game with the GSU Marching Band, September 1998.
- Television’ Cartoon Network Commercial with the GSU Marching Band. 1999.
- Television’ Tampax Commercial with the GSU Marching Band.
- During a visit to Grambling by recording artist Vicky Wynans, ODC performed Ms. Maroney-Grigsby’s choreography to “Long As I Got King Jesus.” 2000.
- Featured in the Movie “Drumline” with GSU Marching Band. 2001.
- Performed during Honda’s “Battle of the Bands” with GSU Marching Band. 2002.
- Featured in EA Sports, Play Station Game Advertisement with GSU Marching Band. 2003.
- Appeared in the ABC TV Series “Switch” with GSU Marching Band. 2004.
- ODC member, Nichoel Norman was selected for the New Orleans Saints Dance Line, Saintsational. 2005.
- Grambling State University and ODC hosts the BCDE four day Dance Conference. 2005.
- Performed during Half-time at the New Orleans Saints vs. Dallas Cowboys preseason game, 2006.
- Performed in the Rose Bowl Parade, Star Wars Spectacular. January 1, 2007.
- The Orchesis were featured in Denzel Washington’s Movie “The Great Debaters” 2008
- “Dances His High Praises II” 2009 Shreveport, LA Strand Theater
- Alumni Orchecsis continues to Dance:
Nicole Norman – NBA New Orleans Hornets – Honey Bees
Amber Browning – NBA Memphis Grizzles – Grizz Girls
Kourtni Mason – NBA Atlanta Hawks – A-Town Dancers
LaTasha Gray – NFL Miami Dolphin - Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders