Counseling Center Services
Individual / Personal Counseling
provides opportunities for student development of personal skills in one-to-one, private sessions. The initial meeting often times fulfills the student's needs. Some students may desire to meet through-out the school year. Students acquire a better sense of self, learn to confidently express feelings, let go of past emotional struggles, examine what is pertinent to a true sense of "wellness".
for students with similar concerns to meet and support peers through exploring
feelings and resolutions.
Current groups include:
- SHAPE (Smart Honest Addiction Prevention Education
- DEEP (Depression Emotive Education Prevention)
- AM (Anger Management)
Assistance is provided when a student's safety or well-being is threatened.
The following services are provided:
- 24 hours - 7 days a week "on-call" emergency response
- Communicate with student's emergency contact person
- Provide immediate support, consultation, advocacy
- Help make contact with appropriate agencies
In cases of assault, (physical or sexual), accidents, illnesses, sudden loss of loved ones, etc., emergency-crisis services are necessary and rendered to facilitate students receiving appropriate care. After Hours: Contact GSU Police Department at 318-274-2222
provides for counseling services to be conducted in various venues and to large groups of students. Topics such as HIV/AIDS, Relationships, Self-Esteem, Alchol-Drug Awareness, Stress Reduction - Relaxation, Wellness, etc. are presented.
Professional development activities include:
- Attending national, local conferences
- Presenting current topics
- Frequent review of policies, procedures
- Review/evaluation of services
- Maintain Resource Library
- Site placement for Intern and Practicum students
- Research projects
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Student Services
Eligibility Review Process:
- Student must be enrolled
- Documentation of disability
- Student makes disability known
- Student makes request for services
- Decision is made regarding eligibility
- Accommodation agreement is made between the student and faculty staff with support from the ADASS office.
* Students should make request early in the semester.