Process for Awarding Internships to Grambling State University Students
It is the goal of the Office of Career Services to enhance student participation within the internship program. Therefore, we have developed a process that is simple for students and the academic areas alike. By listing steps for participation leaves few questions as to how an internship is awarded. The academic areas will still maintain control of the type of internship that is awarded.
- The Academic Dean/Department Head/Faculty member will select the internship to be awarded.
- They will list requirements for Departmental approval.
- Classes to be taken prior to applying for internship.
- Required number of hours.
- Any other academic experiences needed.
- The Internship Administrator (Dean/Dept. Head/Faculty) will then submit name to Career Services for approval.
Career Services will check for the following:
- Must be registered with Career Services, have been assessed, and have a Tiger Works account with an approved resume on file.
- Student must have attended at least three Career Services Professional Development sessions prior to applying for an internship.
- Prior to the award, student must schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to discuss behavior, workplace ethics, etc.
- Counselor will see if there is a GSU Alumni in the area that can serve as mentor for the student while they are there. If not the Career Counselor will serve as mentor coupled with the Internship Administrator.
- Upon their return, students will do an Internship session with students that are interested in an internship in the future.
- After student has completed work with the Career Counselor, an approval form will be signed and returned to Internship Administrator.
***NOTE – SELECTION MUST BE DONE IN A TIMELY MANNER SO THAT PRIOR TO FINAL APPROVAL REQUIRED SESSIONS CAN BE COMPLETED. THEREFORE AT LEAST TWO WEEKS SHOULD BE GIVEN FOR THE APPROVAL PROCESS.
OFFICE OF CAREER SERVICES
INTERNSHIP AVAILABILITY LIST
STOP BY OUR OFFICE AT
Jacob T Stewart #130
FOR MORE INFORMATION!!
YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION!!