INSURANCE WAIVER SUBMISSION DEADLINE
Beginning Date – You are not eligible to exempt until registration for that semester/session
Ending Date – 5 business days after registration begins.
*Note: A new waiver form is required for each semester/summer session.
2018 SUMMER I SESSION DEADLINE – MAY 30, 2018
2018 SUMMER II SESSION DEADLINE – JUNE 30, 2018
2018 FALL SEMESTER DEADLINE – AUGUST 20, 2018
2019 SPRING SEMESTER DEADLINE - JANUARY 11, 2019
Student Insurance Requirement
Due to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and rising costs in student health insurance plans, changes have been made to GSU’s student health insurance coverage. Unfortunately, these changes have adversely affected the low cost health insurance coverage GSU previously provided to its student body.
Effective 2014 Fall semester, Domestic students will be automatically enrolled in an accident only plan. All F-1 and J-1 International students are automatically enrolled in the sickness and accident plan.
Domestic and International students enrolled in the mandatory college-endorsed Student Insurance Plans are billed through Student Accounts in four installments (fall, spring, summer I, summer II) UNLESS proof of other comparable health insurance coverage is furnished. Students who already have health insurance for the entire academic semester must submit a waiver request to opt out by the posted deadline each academic semester/session and the waiver request must be approved to avoid being enrolled in the Student Insurance Plan. Waiving the Student Insurance Plan does not affect eligibility for services at the Student Health Center.
Guidelines for Processing Insurance Waiver Form
- The insurance waiver form must be completed in its entirety.
- Submit the insurance waiver form, with a copy of proof of insurance and proof from your insurance carrier that coverage is accepted at the local hospital (NLMC) and area clinic (Green Clinic), to Foster-Johnson Health Center for approval in person only. Forms sent by fax or mail will not be accepted. Keep a copy for your record.
- It is your responsibility to submit the insurance waiver form to Student Accounts Coordinator or Office of International Affairs.
- It is your responsibility to verify whether or not the charge has been billed to your student account. If there is a billing error, you should contact the Student Accounts Coordinator immediately.
- For billing purposes, it is your responsibility to provide the insurance waiver and private health insurance coverage to outside medical facilities when receiving treatment to prove that you have elected to opt out of your student insurance plan.