The mission of the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports is to organize, administer, and promote a broad diversified program of activities and services for students, faculty and staff of Grambling State University. In support of this mission, the department subscribes to the following program goals and objectives. .
- To provide participation in a variety of recreational sports which satisfy the diverse needs of students, faculty, and staff, as well as, where appropriate, guests, alumni and public participants.
- To coordinate the use of campus sport facilities in cooperation with other user units, such as athletics, physical education, and student union.
- To provide extracurricular educational opportunities through participation in recreational sports and the provision of relevant leadership positions.
- To contribute positively to institutional relations through significant and high quality recreational sports programming.
- To cooperate with academic units, focusing on the development of a recreational sports curricula and accompanying laboratory experiences.
- To provide unlimited numbers of students, faculty and staff with varied, voluntary, constructive and satisfying leisure time outlets from which to choose.
- To provide opportunities for physical, social and mental development through a varied program of structured and unstructured recreational activities.
- To provide an opportunity to develop total wellness through participation in various recreational activities.
- To provide opportunity for individuals to develop the feeling of cooperation, camaraderie and loyalty to a group.
- To provide an opportunity for individuals to develop positive sportsmanship and integrity with regard to rules, officials and opponents.
- To provide opportunity for every individual, regardless of skill level or physical capability, to enjoy the experience of voluntary participation.
- To enhance leadership capabilities, and to guide participants in shaping their social and ethical values.
- To provide an opportunity for the development of sport skills that will serve participants in the future.
- To provide opportunities for the development of positive attitudes toward recreational activity throughout life.
- To provide an opportunity for recreation and relaxation from strenuous school work and the rapid pace of modern living for both students, faculty and staff.
- To provide sufficient equipment, safe and supervised facilities to encourage wholesome participation in a large variety of activities by a large number of students, faculty and staff.
- To promote overall wellness of the entire university community.
It is desired that every student who participates in intramural activities will benefit in the following ways:
- Improved physical and mental health through the medium of intramural/recreational activities.
- Learn the skills and establish lifelong patterns of participation in a variety of activities so that there will be enjoyment of appropriate sports in after-school life.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Grambling State University, Recreation/Intramural Sports Department is designed for the purpose of providing the entire college community with the opportunity to participate in a variety of formal and informal activities. These activities encompass team sport, individual and dual sports, special event activities and competitive and noncompetitive activities. In addition to the obvious benefit of physical fitness, it is hoped that participants will also obtain from this program, improved skills, new and lifelong leisure time skills and social and ethical qualities. (Cooperation, trust, regard for others, etc.)
A high level of skill is not a prerequisite to participate in any activity offered by this department. Therefore, all eligible students, staff and faculty members are urged to take part in as many activities as time and interest might permit. It is felt that these objectives are consistent with the Grambling State University Mission.