School of Graduate Studies 

The School of Graduate Studies is the administrative unit for all graduate degree programs and coordinates the application and graduation processes for persons seeking to enter and complete graduate degree programs. The welfare of graduate students is of specific concern to the School of Graduate Studies. Therefore, upon admission, graduate students should visit the School of Graduate Studies Office at Charles P. Adams, Room 206. In order to ensure a successful graduate experience, new graduate students should also make arrangements to visit their major programs to meet the faculty and staff and obtain information.


The mission of the School of Graduate Studies is to provide the infrastructure for graduate programs by:

  • Communicating the Grambling State University expectation for high quality graduate education to both internal and external stakeholders.
  • Overseeing the administrative processes across all graduate programs.
  • Supporting program review and assessment to ensure that graduate programs meet professional standards.



The Grambling State University School of Graduate Studies will be known for its effective graduate programs and its well-prepared graduates.

Historical Background 

Grambling State University has offered master’s degree programs since 1973. The institution received Board of Regents’ approval to grant doctoral degrees in 1986. At the present time, the School of Graduate Studies offers twelve master’s degree programs, three post-master’s certificate programs, and the doctorate of education degree.

Administrative Organization 

The School of Graduate Studies functions under the jurisdiction of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The unit operates under the direction of the Dean for the School of Graduate Studies who coordinates the University’s graduate programs.

Graduate instruction and specific programs are supervised and administered by appropriate college deans and faculties. The policy-making and regulatory body for graduate programs is the Graduate Council. The membership of the Graduate Council consists of university graduate faculty, administrators and graduate student representatives, with the dean serving as chairperson. The principal functions of the Council are as follows:

  • Formulating all policies and regulations affecting graduate curricula and requirements leading to graduate credit, certification, and degrees;
  • Approving graduate curricula and courses;
  • Ruling on exceptions to regulations in the School of Graduate Studies; and
  • Providing for periodic and systematic evaluation of graduate programs by knowledgeable intra- and extra-divisional personnel and by knowledgeable consultants from outside the institution.

Graduate Programs and Degrees 

Grambling State University offers graduate study leading degrees in the following areas:





Alternative Teacher Certification Project (ATCP)

Certification Areas:

Elementary Education
Secondary Education


Criminal Justice


Curriculum & Instruction

With options in:

Early Childhood Education


Developmental Education

With options in:

Guidance & Counseling


Mass Communication




Public Administration

With options in:

Public Management
State & Local Government
Human Resource Management
Health Services Administration


Social Sciences


Social Work


Special Education


Sport Administration




Family Nurse  Practitioner


Family Nurse


Developmental Education




Developmental Education

With Options in:

Curriculum & Instructional Design
Higher Education Administration & Management
Student Development & Personnel Services



Application Procedure 

An applicant for admission to a graduate program should understand that graduate study is not an extension of undergraduate work. It demands a high level of scholarship and places greater emphasis on research and creativity. Additionally, graduate study requires more student initiative and responsibility. Admission to graduate study maybe granted to degree-seeking students or to special graduate students who do not wish to study for a degree.

Admission to the School of Graduate Studies is awarded on the basis of academic achievement and promise. However, this does not ensure admission to a specific program. Because of the nature of certain programs, admission standards in some departments may be higher than those of the School of Graduate Studies. Applications of individuals who meet the School of Graduate Studies requirements are forwarded to the appropriate academic unit for review. The applicant is advised to consult the department in which she or he wishes to pursue a degree for information regarding additional admission requirements.

Individuals seeking admission to the School of Graduate Studies must submit a graduate admission application, a non-refundable application fee of $20; a completed immunization form, three letters of recommendation, two official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework (electronic transcript submission is acceptable), and an official report of GRE scores (applicants for the MPA program may submit either the GRE or GMAT) prior to the institution’s established deadline.

The application for the School of Graduate Studies is web-based and can be accessed at:


The signature page and supporting documentation must be sent to:

School of Graduate Studies

Grambling State University

GSU Box 4239

Grambling, LA 71245

Admission Criteria 

Regular Admission

For regular admission to the School of Graduate Studies, an applicant must:

  • Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an institution which is accredited by an appropriate regional or national accrediting agency;
  • Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5(4.0 scale) or better on all undergraduate work;
  • Have a 3.0 overall grade point average on graduate hours pursued at another university;
  • Candidates for the MPA Program may submit scores on the GRE or GMAT. Scores must have an administration date no more than five years prior to the date of admission;
  • Review specific program admission requirements regarding if submission of GRE scores is required and;
  • Have three recommendation forms or letters of recommendation on official letterhead sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies from individuals who can attest to the applicant’s academic ability, written and oral communication skills, personal and professional ethics, and interpersonal skills.


Conditional Admission

Conditional admission may be granted to applicants who fail to meet criteria for regular admission. Conditional admission may be granted to applicants who meet one of the following criteria:

  • A minimum of 2.30 GPA (4.0 scale) on all undergraduate work; or
  • A minimum 2.65 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work.

Applicants who have completed graduate hours at another university with an overall graduate point average below 3.0 and are eligible to return to that university may be granted conditional admission.

Conditional status may be changed to regular status when the applicant has:

  • Earned a “B” average (3.0) in twelve (12) semester hours graduate study with not more than one grade of“C” in any course, and
  • The major program has completed the “admission to department” form and returned it to the School of Graduate Studies.

An applicant not meeting these criteria may apply to the undergraduate Admissions Office for Other Undergraduate Status.


Provisional Admission

A graduate student may be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies on a provisional basis pending the receipt of some admission documents. A student who is admitted provisionally and does not complete all requirements for full admission within one semester or summer session will have his/her registration for future semesters canceled until all required documents for full admission are submitted.


Ten Percent Exception

The School of Graduate Studies has a “ten percent exception” policy. The number of available “exceptions” each semester is calculated by multiplying the number of “new graduate student” admissions from the previous semester by 10%.

The total number of available “exceptions” for Summer I and Summer II sessions is calculated by totaling the available exceptions from the preceding fall and spring semesters AND dividing that total by two.

When a graduate student is admitted under the “Ten Percent Exception” policy, the exception will be noted in the Banner System. His/her progress will be monitored by the School of Graduate Studies in terms of the number of credit hours completed and grade point average.

Graduate programs will maintain the appropriate advisement process for all graduate students, with special attention to any student who may need additional support.


Non-Degree Students

An applicant who meets all requirements for regular or conditional admission as a graduate student, but does not wish to earn a degree at Grambling State University, may be admitted as a non-degree student. Only twelve (12) semester hours of non-degree graduate credit can be later applied to a master’s or doctoral degree. Application of such credit toward a degree must be approved by the program, department, the degree granting college, and the School of Graduate Studies. Only credits earned with a grade of “B” or higher will be applied toward a graduate degree.

A graduate student who does not plan to earn a degree should submit a transcript of the highest degree held. Test scores and letters of recommendation are not required.


Transfer Admission

To be admitted to the graduate program at Grambling State University, a student who has attended another School of Graduate Studies must be eligible for re-admission to that School of Graduate Studies. In addition, the student must meet all requirements for graduate admission at Grambling State University.


Transfer Credits

A graduate student may transfer up to one-third of the hours needed to complete the graduate program from another institution under the following conditions:

  • The institution must be regionally accredited.
  • A grade of “B” or better must be earned on all credits.
  • The credits must be acceptable to the program as determined by the major advisor, department head and college dean.
  • The six-year time limitation must be observed on all credits.

Credits earned on a non-graduate or post-baccalaureate basis at another institution will not be accepted toward graduate degree requirements.


International Admission

An international applicant must submit all college and university records 60 days prior to the semester of planned enrollment. The international applicant to the School of Graduate Studies must have his/her credentials evaluated through World Education Services (WES). All international applicants are advised of the following information:

  • Applicants are responsible for paying the fee directly to WES.
  • Applicants should select the “Comprehensive Course by Course Report” on the WES application.
  • Applicants must identify the Grambling State University School of Graduate Studies as the recipient of the completed WES report.

Grambling State University

School of Graduate Studies

GSU Box 4239

Grambling, LA 71245


To access a WES credential evaluation application, please visit the web site at The application is available in both the on-line and PDF downloadable formats. To obtain specific submission instructions and to determine which documents to submit for evaluation, click on the “Required Documents” link on the WES web site and find the appropriate country in the drop-down box. After locating the country, click on “View.” Please contact World Education Services directly via e-mail or phone for answers to any questions about the credential evaluation process.

In addition to the application materials listed above for graduate admission, international applicants must submit the following before acceptance into a graduate program can be determined:

  • A completed graduate application form and the $30 (US) application fee,
  • An affidavit of financial support,
  • Confidential health and physical examination form completed by a medical doctor, and
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score for applicants from non-English speaking countries.

(Paper-based – 500; Computer-based – 173; Internet-based – 61)

An Affidavit of Support must be on file before admission can be granted or a Form I-20 issued. This requirement must be met even if the student completed the requirements for the undergraduate degree in the United States. An individual who has entered the United States on an I-20 issued by another institution must have an I-20 issued by Grambling State University prior to enrollment in a graduate program.


Readmission to the School of Graduate Studies

Any admitted student who has not enrolled for one regular semester, excluding summer sessions, must apply for readmission to the School of Graduate Studies. The readmission application and other required documents must be submitted to the School. Items needed in order to be readmitted include the following:

  • Application for readmission (
  • $10 readmission application fee is required (money order or cashier’s check made payable to Grambling State University).
  • A $20 readmission application fee is required when the applicant has been out of school for one year or more.
  • Official transcript(s) from college(s) attended while absent from Grambling State University.

Student Advisement and Program Planning

Advisement of graduate students is one of the most important functions of members of the graduate faculty. Since admission to the advanced program is a highly individualized matter, a faculty advisor for each graduate student will be officially designated by the department head and college dean, with both the student and faculty member agreeing on the assignment. The student will plan his/her program of study cooperatively with the advisor. The plan of study must be completed during the first semester of matriculation or after all requirements for admission have been met, whichever comes first.

The advisor guides the graduate student in the selection of courses and supervises the program, which must be approved by the head of the department or director of the program in which the student is enrolled. Counseling graduate students includes (1) helping the individual student in planning course work within the options designed to meet his/her needs and (2) guiding the individual student toward the achievement of established goals. The thesis, where applicable, will be written under the supervision of the advisor, who normally will serve as chairperson of the student’s advisory committee.

Advisement Steps Toward the Graduate Degree

Admission to the Department

The “Formal Admission to a Department” form should be completed by the graduate student’s department as soon as the individual has been admitted to pursue graduate studies in the department. The completed form should be signed and submitted to the School of Graduate Studies.


Plan of Study

A student is eligible to officially work toward a degree beginning with the semester in which he or she is formally admitted into a graduate program. During the first semester after the student has been formally admitted, the advisor will meet with the student, develop a plan of study, and submit the “Plan of Study” form to the School of Graduate Studies for approval. The student’s plan of study is subject to the School of Graduate Studies’ policy and departmental requirements. Students are responsible for knowing degree requirements and enrolling in courses that fit into their degree programs.

A “Change of Plan of Study” form must be completed and submitted for approval when the student and advisor make changes to the original plan of study. The form may be secured from the School of Graduate Studies web site. It must be completed by the student in collaboration with the advisor, and approved by the advisor and the department head.


Admission to Candidacy

Admission to a graduate program does not mean that a student is a candidate for a graduate degree.

Admission to candidacy indicates that the student has successfully completed an important portion of his/her graduate studies, has outlined the remainder of his or her program of study, is considered a capable graduate student, and is viewed as a worthy candidate for an advanced degree in his or her field of specialization.


Master’s Degree: Advancement to candidacy for the master’s degree is granted by the School of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the department after the student has (1) achieved regular admission status, (2) submitted an approved plan of study to the School of Graduate Studies, (3) completed the required number of semester hours as determined by each department, (4) demonstrated English proficiency by earning at least a “B” grade in a course designated for that purpose, and (5) the program has submitted the completed “Admission to Candidacy” form to the School of Graduate Studies.


Doctoral Degree: Advancement to candidacy for the doctoral degree is granted by the School of Graduate Studies on the recommendation of the department after the student has (1) achieved regular admission status; (2) submitted an approved plan of study to the School of Graduate Studies; (3) passed the required candidacy or qualifying examination; (4) completed all required pre-candidacy courses; (5) earned a 3.0 GPA in all graduate work taken; (6) demonstrated English Proficiency by earning at least a “B” grade in course designated for that purpose; (7) met the residency requirement; and (8) the program has submitted the completed “Admission to Candidacy” form to the School of Graduate Studies. A doctoral student must be advanced to candidacy at least nine months prior to the granting of the degree to assure sufficient time for work on the dissertation.


Comprehensive Examination

Both master’s and doctoral programs require the successful completion of comprehensive examinations as culminating assessments. For specific information regarding the characteristics of the comprehensive examinations in any particular area, students are referred to their specific departments and programs.


Master’s Thesis/Project

A student who is planning to write a master’s thesis/project must submit an intent form to the School of Graduate Studies that has been approved by the thesis/project director, two committee members, the department head, and the school/college dean prior to registering for thesis/project credit and no later than one semester before the thesis/ project is presented for public oral defense.

A draft copy of the thesis/project must be presented to the School of Graduate Studies for the dean’s approval 10 working days prior to the oral defense. The final original thesis/project and three copies must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies for binding no later than 10 working days after to the date on which the degree is conferred. For specific information concerning the format of the master’s thesis and projects, students should consult the appropriate college, or school handbook and/or the School of Graduate Studies’ Guidelines for Preparing Research Proposals, Master’s Projects and Theses, and Doctoral Dissertations.


Doctoral Dissertation

Each student must present a dissertation which represents the culmination of a major research project. The dissertation must be a well-reasoned, original contribution to knowledge in the field of study and should provide evidence of high scholarly achievement. A student who is planning to complete a doctoral dissertation must submit an intent form to the School of Graduate Studies that has been approved by the dissertation committee chair, dissertation committee members, department head, and the school/college dean prior to registering for dissertation credit and no later than two semesters before the dissertation is presented for public oral defense.

A draft copy of the dissertation must be presented to the School of Graduate Studies for the dean’s approval 10 working days prior to the oral defense. The final original dissertation and three copies must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies for binding no later than 10 working days after the date on which the degree is conferred. An electronic copy and a separate abstract must be uploaded to ProQuest through dissertation publication.

The style and form of the dissertation must be in conformity with the instructions prepared by the academic department and the School of Graduate Studies. For specific instructions regarding the format of the dissertation, the student should obtain a copy of the following handbooks:

  • Handbook for Advisors and Students from the Department of Educational Leadership,
  • Guidelines for Preparing Research Proposals, Master’s Projects and Theses, and Doctoral Dissertations, from the School of Graduate Studies, and
  • Research Project and Thesis Policies and Procedures from the School of Nursing Graduate Program.


Application for Graduation

A student must file an application for graduation in the Office of the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies during the first month of the fall or spring semester in which he/she expects to complete all requirements. A candidate for any degree must also make application for the degree with the Office of the Registrar.

An applicant for a degree must be enrolled during the semester in which he or she intends to graduate. If a student fails to receive his/her degree at the time indicated, a new application must be filed.

A student who expects to receive a graduate degree must meet the minimum requirements that are applicable to his or her department and college or school:

  1. Complete all department and School of Graduate Studies requirements.
  2. Must satisfy the English Proficiency requirement.
  3. Meet all requirements to advance to candidacy.
  4. Meet the minimum semester hours required for the particular program in which the student is enrolled.
  5. Must have a grade point average of 3.0 or better.

Note: Some departments have additional graduation requirements which are not listed in the general graduation requirements. Students are also advised to check with their college or school for other graduation requirements.

Time Limitation for Program Completion

Time to Degree

A full-time student must complete the requirements for the master’s degree within six years after admission to a degree program. A full-time doctoral student must complete the requirements for the doctoral degree within seven years. A student who does not complete the graduate degree within the allotted time frame may seek an exception through the School of Graduate Studies to the Graduate Council.


Statute of Limitations for Courses

The Plan of Study (POS) should consist of graduate coursework not older than six (6) years at the time of POS filing. On rare occasions, the graduate advisor may determine that coursework older than six (6) years could be applicable to a student’s current POS. The advisor must provide documented justification for inclusion of such coursework at the time of POS submission. Justification must consist of an explanation of how the student will achieve currency in the subject matter content of the old coursework during the time to degree. The School of Graduate Studies reviews all justifications; approval is not guaranteed.


A graduate student must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be eligible to apply for graduation. All credits earned while pursuing the graduate degree, in all courses taken, will be used to determine a student’s overall GPA. The unit of credit is the semester hour based on a four-point grading system. Grades are assigned as follows:


Letter Grade


Quality Points per Credit Hour





Above Average






Below Average






Fail-Never Attended




Computed as “F”


Approved Course/In Progress

Not Computed


Incomplete Extended

Computed as “F”



Not Computed


No Credit

Not Computed



Not Computed



Not Computed 


Approved Course/Work Pending

Not Computed


Quality points earned for each course are determined by multiplying the number of quality points for each grade by the number of hours the course carries. A student’s grade point average is computed by adding the total quality points for all courses for which quality point values may be computed, then dividing by the number of GPA hours (divisor). The grade of “P” will be awarded for nontraditional credit and non-credit courses only. Courses so credited will not be used in computing the grade point average.

The grade of “I” (incomplete) means that some relatively small part of the session’s work remains undone because of illness or other unavoidable reason. This mark is given in exceptional cases where the student has been passing a course and gives evidence of ability to pass the course if granted an opportunity to complete an assignment which was not completed by the termination of the course. Prior to awarding a grade of “I,” the instructor must submit an Incomplete Assignment Form to the department head. Incomplete grades for graduate students must be changed within one academic year. The department head, academic dean, and the vice president for academic affairs must approve the Grade Change Form. The grade of “I” becomes “F” on the academic transcript if it is not changed by the deadline.

The grade of “W” indicates withdrawal of the student from the University up to a specified date following mid-term.

This date will be published in the university calendar. After this date, a student may not withdraw or drop classes. In extraordinary cases, the registrar may authorize resignation from the institution or the dropping of a course with the grade of “W” after the deadline. The instructor cannot change a “W” grade.

The grade of “AU” indicates that the course has been audited; however, no credit is allowed.

When applicable, an “IP” (In Progress) is awarded to students enrolled in approved courses such as practica, internships, and others in which course requirements are normally not completed within one term. A request to assign In Progress (IP) Grade Change Form must be submitted by the instructor of record to the department head, academic dean and the Academic Vice President/Provost for approval prior to submission to the Registrar’s Office. The “IP” will remain until course requirements have been completed by the entire class unless there are students who have been recommended for graduation. All IP Grades should be changed 60 days after the end of the semester in which the IP was awarded. At that time a regular grade will be awarded. No credit will be given until the “IP” is converted to a regular grade.

The grade “Z” is for certain approved courses. When all work is completed, a Grade Change Form must be processed.

The grade of “FN” indicates that the student did not attend class and did not complete an academic assignment. Both requirements must be met to award the FN grade. This grade will be used by the university to assist with the establishment of a withdrawal date for the return of unearned student financial aid. Because of federal regulations, the last date attended is required for students who earn an “F” grade.  The date is required in order to determine Title IV Calculations.  Please be sure to enter this date as you enter “F” grades for students.   If a student has never attended your class, please enter the letter grade “FN” only and please do not enter a last date of attendance.

Academic Progress Policy 


Any graduate student whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation. A student who is readmitted on academic probation must earn a 3.0 GPA in each subsequent semester and may remove him or herself from probationary status by raising his or her cumulative GPA to 3.0 or better. Failure to earn a GPA of 3.0 or better each semester while on probation will result in suspension.



A student with a grade of “D” or “F” is automatically suspended from the program.


Appeals for Re-admission: Academic Suspension

Petitions for readmission to the School of Graduate Studies are accepted after a student has remained out of school for a full semester or two consecutive summer sessions immediately following an academic suspension. Petitions for readmission to the School of Graduate Studies are accepted after a student has remained out of school for two full semesters following a second academic suspension. Other petitions may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

A suspended student who wishes to re-enroll must submit a written appeal to the dean of the School of Graduate Studies, who will present it to the Graduate Council. A suspended student who is readmitted to the School of Graduate Studies must also apply to his or her program for readmission to that program. A readmitted student may be subject to other performance criteria as specified by the Graduate Council.


Grade Appeals and Other Grievances

Appeals related to grades are addressed through the University’s grade appeals process. It is an important part of the teaching responsibility of the faculty to provide careful evaluation and timely assignment of an appropriate grade to each enrolled student. There is a presumption that grades assigned are correct. It is the responsibility of the student appealing an assigned grade to demonstrate otherwise. In the absence of compelling reasons, such as instructor’s error or clerical error, etc., the grade determined by the instructor of record is to be considered final.

A student who believes that an appropriate grade has not been assigned may appeal by using the following procedure.

  1. The student should attempt to resolve the problem within 30 days (after the end of the term in which the course was offered) with the instructor who assigned the grade. If the instructor determines that an error has been made in submitting the grade, a Grade Change Form (available in the academic departmental office) must be initiated by the instructor immediately. Documentation to justify the change must be provided for the approving officials. The form must be approved by the department head, academic dean and vice president for academic affairs; the instructor must bring the form to the Registrar’s Office to make the change official.
  2. If the student is not satisfied with the instructor’s decision, he or she should file a written appeal within 120 calendar days after the end of the semester/session to the head of the department in which the course was offered.
  3. If the problem is not resolved at the department head’s level, the student should file a written appeal within 10 working days to the dean of the college offering the course.
  4. If the problem is not resolved at this level, a written appeal must be sent to the Provost/Vice President Academic Affairs within 10 working days. The Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs will rule on the matter within 10 working days and will inform the student, faculty member, the registrar, and other appropriate University personnel in writing. The decision of the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.
  5. Candidates for degrees should immediately notify their graduation evaluator if there is some question pending resolution when the final semester ends.


Appeals related to programmatic rules and regulations must be addressed at the individual department and college.

The School of Graduate Studies will review such appeals only after they have been addressed by the individual department and college concerned.



A student may be suspended or dismissed from the graduate program in which he or she is enrolled for failure to meet program requirements that may be greater than School of Graduate Studies’ requirements. Petitions for readmission to a program must be directed to the appropriate program director or department head.


English Proficiency

All graduate students must demonstrate English proficiency by earning at least a “B” grade in the course identified by their program as designated for the demonstration of English proficiency or by earning a score of 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing sub-test of the Graduate Record Exam General Examination.* *The MSN and MSW Programs require all graduate students to take the designated writing course.


Course Changes

A student may drop and substitute a course without penalty within the limit specified in the university calendar, provided approval is given by his or her advisor. After the class adjustment, the student’s official drop/add form must be approved by the advisor, assigned a drop/add number, and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.


Graduate Credit Load

Nine (9) credit hours are considered to be a full load for graduate students during the regular fall and spring semesters. During the summer session, six (6) hours are considered to be a full load. Some degree programs may require a larger credit load each semester. Check with your department/school head for advisement.

Financial Aid 

It is the primary responsibility of the student, parent, guardian, and/or spouse to pay the cost of education (e.g. general fees, room, board, books, supplies, personal expenses and transportation). However, the university offers financial aid to assist in the payment of the basic cost of education based upon financial need and the availability of need-based programs.


Grambling State University offers the following types of financial aid for graduate students:

Loans: Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and Private Loans;

Student Employment: Federal Work-Study and Institutional Wages.


Applying for Federal Financial Aid

Students who are interested in applying for federal aid must follow these steps:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at by April 1 of each year.
  • Receive the Student Aid Report (SAR) within two to four weeks. The Student Aid Report will list your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used to determine eligibility for federal aid programs. The Office of Student Financial Aid will receive your results electronically, therefore, do not submit the paper copy of the Student Aid Report to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • Return all documents requested by the school on or before June 1 of each year.
  • Sign award letter to accept federal aid awards.


University Policy

All students must be accepted for admission to the university before federal aid is awarded and students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) yearly based on the University’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

Students are expected to obtain a copy of the SAP policy from the Office of Student Financial Aid. In the event of changes in hours enrolled, in housing status, in residential status, etc., the university reserves the right to review, adjust, or cancel an award. Awards in excess of the cost of attendance budget will be reduced; otherwise, the student must repay the amount over-awarded. Default of Title IV aid (federal student loans) and failure to comply with university regulations constitute a reason for canceling awards.


For more information concerning student financial assistance and scholarships, please contact:

Office of Student Financial Aid

P.O. Box 629

Grambling State University

Grambling, LA 71245




Assistantships and Fellowships 

Qualifications/Eligibility for Assistantships, Fellowships and Scholarships

A student who has been admitted into the School of Graduate Studies with regular admission status may be considered for and granted an assistantship by the School of Graduate Studies. The graduate student must be enrolled full-time (9 credit hours each semester; 6 credit hours in summer) and maintain a GPA of 3.0 in order to be considered for assistantship support during subsequent semesters. A student who fails to maintain a full-time course load in any given semester or term will lose his/her assistantship and may be disqualified from receiving assistantships in subsequent semesters. A graduate student who holds other campus employment that is funded by institutional dollars is not eligible for a graduate assistantship funded by institutional dollars.

An international student must hold and provide evidence of a current and valid Visa in order to be eligible for assistantships, fellowships, or scholarships. International students on assistantship whose native language is not English must meet all current TOEFL requirements. All other requirements to hold an assistantship also must be met.

Selection Process: A student must complete the graduate assistantship application and place it on file in the School of Graduate Studies. The application is evaluated to ensure that the graduate student meets all criteria. Department heads, graduate program heads, and other key faculty and administrators may request a graduate assistant to fill a specific job description or recommend a graduate student for an assistantship to fill a specific job description. When the graduate assistantship is funded by institutional dollars, the School of Graduate Studies will make every effort to balance the student’s skills and academic interests with position placement.

A graduate student who is placed as a graduate research assistant must be recommended by the department and/or program in which he/she will have research responsibilities.


Categories of Assistantships:

Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)

The Graduate Teaching Assistant who is the teacher of record must be assigned to a graduate faculty member in his or her particular area. The assistant is responsible for preparing lesson plans, teaching from specific course outlines, keeping student records, grading, and being available for outside classroom tutoring of students in the particular subject matter. The graduate assistant will be closely supervised and evaluated by the faculty member. The graduate teaching assistants who has primary responsibility for teaching a course for credit and/or for assigning final grades for such courses, and who does not possess a terminal degree in his/her respective discipline, must have earned at least 18 graduate semester hours in his/her teaching discipline and a master’s degree; be under the direct supervision of a faculty member experienced in the teaching discipline; receive regular in-service training; and be evaluated regularly.

Selection Process: A graduate student who is placed as a graduate teaching assistant must be recommended by the department and/or program in which he/she will have teaching responsibilities.


Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)

The Graduate Research Assistant usually works under the supervision of a principal investigator on a funded research project. The assistant is responsible for performing laboratory research techniques, sample collection, data analysis and interpretation, and supervision of undergraduate research students. The stipends are usually paid through a research grant. The graduate assistant must be closely supervised and evaluated by the principal investigator.


Graduate Administrative Assistant (GAA)

The Graduate Administrative Assistant is usually assigned to work in the various offices of colleges and schools and other administrative and academic units. The assistant is responsible for performing clerical duties such as word processing, filing, telephone answering, and laboratory supervision, etc. The assistant may also be requested to perform special in-house duties. He/she must be monitored closely and evaluated by his/her immediate supervisor.

Selection Process: A graduate student who is placed as a graduate administrative assistant may be recommended by the department and/or program in which he/she will have administrative responsibilities or may be placed in the department or program by the School of Graduate Studies in response to a request from that department or program.


Work Assignments/Requirements

A student is permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the regular university period of classes and the weeks of registration and final examination. All workloads must conform to the Minimum Wage Law. A work schedule from the department chairperson is to be submitted to the Dean for the School of Graduate Studies. A payroll time sheet must be completed each month by the graduate assistant and approved by the appropriate supervisor.



Employing units are responsible for providing each graduate assistant with an annual written evaluation. The evaluation form is available from the School of Graduate Studies. Once the supervisor completes the evaluation form, s/he must meet with the graduate assistant to review it. After the review is completed, the graduate assistant must sign the document to indicate that it has been reviewed. The graduate assistant may provide a written response to the evaluation if s/he deems that such a response is needed. One copy of the evaluation and any related documents are to be provided to the School of Graduate Studies. The completed evaluation consists of a completed evaluation form and any additional response prepared by the graduate assistant.


Assistantships are available for full time graduate students in amounts ranging from $4,500 (master’s) to $10,500 (doctoral) for the academic year.

Tuition, Fees, and Other Expenses

Grambling State University reserves the right to adjust tuition, fees, and board during the year without prior notice to the student should conditions so warrant. The schedule of fees represents college and university charges. It does not include amounts for books, supplies, travel expenses, medical expenses other than clinic services provided by the University and miscellaneous personal items that may be required. Basic tuition, fees, room and board are to be paid in full by registration day. Money for expenses not classified should be sent directly to the student and not to Grambling.

Payments to the University for student  tuition, fees, room and board costs should be made in person by credit cards

(VISA, MasterCard, American Express) or by certified or cashier s checks, drafts, or money orders made payable to Grambling State University. Grambling disclaims any liability for cash (currency) that is sent through the mail; no cash should be mailed to the University.

For information concerning tuition, fees, and other expenses, please contact:

 Grambling State University

Comptroller's Office

P.O. Box 25

Grambling, LA 71245

(318) 274-6170

Non-Resident Fee Information 

The Academic Common Market

The Academic Common Market is an interstate agreement among fifteen Southern states for sharing uncommon college and university programs. Residents of these states who are accepted for admission into selected out-of-state programs may enroll on an in-state tuition basis. To qualify, an applicant must (1) be accepted into a program to which his or her state has made arrangements to send its students, and (2) submit proof to the “university of legal residence” in the home state. For information contact: Southern Regional Education Board, 592 Tenth Street N.W., Atlanta, GA 30318-5790 or


Web-based Courses

A non-resident graduate student who enrolls in six credit hours or less in the fall or spring semester will be charged in-state fees for web-based courses. When a student enrolls in more than six credit hours per semester, he/she will be charged out-of-state fees for additional credit hours beyond the six credit hours.


Graduation Fees

A fee must be paid in the Accounting Office of the University when submitting an application for graduation.


Dissertation Publication Requirement

All doctoral students admitted to the School of Graduate Studies do so with a condition of enrollment that completed dissertations will be published. This involves submission of the dissertation for publication through ProQuest, using the web-based portal at We believe it is in the best interest of all if doctoral research is widely and quickly distributed in a manner that is recognized and readily available. Additional information for submitting dissertations are available in the School of Graduate Studies and in the Department of Educational Leadership.


There is no housing available for graduate students.

Refund Policy 

General Fee

Continuing students or first-term applicants who pay fees in advance, register and then officially withdrew from the university may be refunded 100% of the general fee in accordance with the federal aid refund policy, if written notification of the official withdrawal is received by the Vice President for Finance on or before the 14th or 7th class day for the regular academic terms or summer term, respectively. The general fee is not refundable for official withdrawals occurring after those dates.


Out of State Fee

Refunds for this fee will be handled in the same manner as the refunds for the general fee.


Waiver of Out of State Fee

If students pay their out-of-state fee and are subsequently granted an out of state waiver prior to the 14th class day (7th class day for the summer session), the out of state waiver will be honored effective for the current semester.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Default of Title IV aid (federal student loans) and failure to comply with university regulations constitute a reason for canceling awards.

Graduate Student Association 

The purpose of the Grambling State University Graduate Student Association (GSUGSA) is to unite the graduate students across all graduate programs so that their interests can be represented to the campus and the university administration. Its goals are to promote academic and career achievement, to provide graduate student representation in the student governance process, and to facilitate graduate student collegiality.

Accident and Health Insurance 

All students enrolled at Grambling State University, who paid health insurance fees at the time of registration, are covered by a limited student insurance plan. Faculty/staff, with tuition exemption, are excluded from this plan. If the student’s health insurance denies the claim, all payments are the responsibility of the student. Insurance brochures are available at the health center. All full-time graduate students are automatically enrolled in a limited student insurance plan when fees are paid. Students must have a referral and claim form for all off-campus appointments during health center hours.


Students are held individually responsible for information contained in this catalog. Failure to read and comply with policies, regulations, and procedures will not exempt students from whatever penalties they may incur. 

  1. All graduate students at Grambling State University must be properly admitted to the University by the School of Graduate Studies & Research before they register.
  2. Registration is complete only when registration requests have been properly recorded and all fees, deposits and charges are paid. Students are expected to pay all fees at the time of registration.
  3. Students are given credit only for those courses in which they are officially registered at the conclusion of the drop/add period.
  4. Students will be held responsible for completing all courses for which they initially register, except for changes in registration which are officially filed in the Registrar’s Office.
  5. Students enrolled in courses who do not attend initial class meetings may be dropped from the class if demand for the course exceeds capacity. Departments following this practice will make reasonable efforts to inform students of this action. No student should assume that non-attendance will result in being automatically dropped.
  6. The University does not guarantee the availability of particular courses or sections thereof since admission to classes will be authorized only until the maximum number of students allowable in any section has been reached.
  7. Should a student or former student fail to pay a debt owed to the University, the University may withhold permission to register, use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged to receive services, materials, food or merchandise, or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt until the debt is paid.

Immunization Policy 

All first-time students born after 1956 will be required to present proof of measles, mumps, rubella, and tetanus diphtheria immunizations. This is not an admission requirement, but shall be required of students prior to enrollment at Grambling State University.

Student Responsibility

A graduate student is expected to assume full responsibility for knowledge of the rules and regulations affecting his/her graduate program. Students must become familiar with the university catalog, college or school handbooks, and the Guide to Graduate Study Handbook.