Student Life

Student Life at the University falls primarily under the auspices of the Division of Student Affairs. Through activities and programs, the Division of Student Affairs fosters an environment that supports learning, healthy lifestyles, leadership, career development, personal growth, and inclusiveness. In keeping with the University’s mission and heritage, the division works to provide students with the experiences and skills that lead to productive, meaningful and fulfilled lives. To this end, the Division of Student Affairs complements and supplements the academic enterprise by broadening the opportunities for personal, social, cultural and intellectual development for students within the campus environment.

Student Conduct

It is each student’s responsibility to adhere to the policies and standards of conduct prescribed by the University and the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System. Each student must comply with and obey local, state, and federal laws. The University publishes the rules, regulations and policies concerning acceptable student behavior in the Code of Student Conduct. The Code seeks to promote a safe environment in which all persons are treated with respect. The Code also describes the process followed when students are alleged to have broken a rule or violated a policy.

The Office of Student Conduct is responsible for the administration of the student disciplinary system by providing a systematic process to maintain student behavior that adheres to prescribed standards. Additionally, the area exists to provide corrective action which is both educational and developmental. The primary mission of the Office of Student Conduct is to support the larger mission of both the University and the Division of Student Affairs. Student Conduct seeks to promote student learning, growth and development by increasing student awareness of the University’s expectation(s) of behavior, both inside and outside the classroom, by collaboratively working with other departments in an effort to create a safe, secure, and civil environment conducive to learning.

Each student has rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, these freedoms cannot be enjoyed exercised, or protected in a community which lacks order and stability.  Additionally, it is each student’s obligation to presume responsibility as a mature, civil and intellectual citizen while matriculating at the University.   These student rights and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 


Students’ Rights

  • Speech and Expression. Students shall be free to discuss questions of interest and to express opinions.  Public expression of students reflects the views of those making the statement and not necessarily the University community.  The University retains the right to provide for the safety of students, faculty, and staff, to protect property, and to ensure the continuity of the educational process in maintaining order. Authorization for any speech or demonstration will require identification of the individual and agreement to abide by University regulations.

  • Assembly and Demonstration. Students shall be free to organize and associate to promote their common interests.  Assembly and demonstration, just as speech and expression within the institution in public places, are permitted subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions for the maintenance of order, safety and security and is applicable to local, state and federal laws.  Approval from the President or Vice President for Student Affairs is required for a designated area for demonstrations.
  • Publication and Distribution. Students shall be free to publish and to distribute their ideas in the form of newspapers, newsletters, leaflets, and the like, subject to time, place, and manner restrictions identified by the President or Vice President for Student Affairs.
  • Expression through Media. Students shall be free to express opinions through student media as long as they are governed by and adhere to the canons of professional journalism and applicable regulations of the U. S. Constitution and the Federal Communication Commission.  Similar rights are afforded oral statements of views on student-run radio and television stations.

Media contact for the University is the Director of Media and Public Relations.  Students are prohibited from speaking on behalf of or for Grambling State University with any media organization or publication, or from inviting the media to any University-owned or operated property, facility, or event without the expressed permission of the University Office of Media Relations.

Students have the right to be free from all forms of discrimination on the basis of race, religion, sexual preference, political affiliation, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or veteran status.  The University will not condone any practices or policies that discriminate against anyone.

Students have the right to be secure in their possessions against invasions of privacy and unreasonable search and seizure.  However, the University reserves the right to enter occupied residence halls with a warrant or under other special circumstances.  Conditions for entry by University authorities/officials into occupied rooms in residence halls are divided into three categories:  maintenance, emergency, and health and safety standards.  (See "GSU-Residential Life Bulletin”.)

Students have the right to confidentiality of official records, transcripts, personnel records, and disciplinary records.  Students also have the right to confidentiality of information relating to personal views, beliefs, and political associations acquired by administrators, instructors, counselors, advisors, and officials of the University in the course of their work. (See Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).

  • Redress of Grievances. Any time a student's rights as outlined herein are contravened, the student shall have the right to petition for redress of such a grievance through procedures as promulgated within this cover.


Students’ Responsibilities

  • To obtain, read, and adhere to the conduct and standards published by the University, Board of Trustees for the University of Louisiana System, as well as those established by local, state and federal laws. Failure to read this document will not excuse any student from responsibility for abiding by policies and procedures described herein.

  • To respect the rights of others regardless of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious or public beliefs.
  • To respect all property owned, operated, housed and/or leased by the University.
  • To maintain the highest ethical standards in preparing and submitting course work.
  • To comply with all financial obligations as published in University documents and websites.
  • To seek the help of faculty, other professionals and resources provided as you complete your degree requirements.
  • To report in good faith, and without fear of retaliation, violation(s) of the Code of Student Conduct and other policies of the University to appropriate academic and/or administrative personnel.

For more detailed information concerning the Code of Student Conduct and the disciplinary process, please contact the Office of Student Judicial Affairs at (318) 274-6149 or visit the website at

Foster-Johnson Health Center

Facility and Staff

Foster-Johnson Health Center is an ambulatory medical facility. It is the student’s advocate for health promotion, disease prevention and early intervention of illness. The Center’s mission is to provide compassionate, accessible and quality health care services to the Grambling State University student body with a respect for confidentiality. Students are afforded health care by a nurse practitioner (with a collaborating physician), a registered nurse and a licensed practical nurse.



Foster-Johnson Health Center is conveniently located on Central Avenue between the University Police Department and the Intramural Center.


Hours of Operation

Monday-Thursday              7:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. and 12:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Friday                                       7:30 a.m-11:30 a.m.

(a validated GSU ID card must be provided)

Schedule an appointment to avoid the wait, call (318) 274-2351 during clinic hours.

Note:  If you choose to walk-in without an appointment, we will do our best to work you into the schedule.  However, there may be considerable wait times and there is no guarantee that we can see you the same day.


In Case of Emergency

Emergencies and ambulance services are handled by University Police Department, (318) 274-2219 or 2222.


Immunization/TB Questionnaire (Mandatory)

Proof of Immunization is mandated. Louisiana law (RS 17:170/RS 17:170.1) requires all students entering Grambling State University to be immunized for the following: Measles (2 doses), Mumps, Rubella (required for those born on or after January 1, 1957; Tetanus-Diphtheria (within the past 10 years); and against Meningococcal disease (Meningitis - 2 doses). Students that do not meet this requirement are placed on immunization hold, and will not be allowed to select classes until documentation of immunization or a physician documented proof of immunity has been submitted.

The student health center is evaluating all entering students for exposure to tuberculosis (TB). Failure to return this questionnaire will result in you being placed on hold.


Medical History/Medical Consent

Students are encouraged to submit a Medical History to the health center. In the event of a medical emergency or life-threatening situation and in consultation with a physician, a Medical Consent form granting permission, from you or parent/legal guardian (if you are a minor), to authorize medical treatment is needed.



Non-prescription medications are kept in stock at the health center and are available to the students. However, if the nurse practitioner writes a prescription, the student is responsible for securing the purchase.


Medical Insurance

Due to the implementation of the Affordable Care Act and rising costs in student health insurance plans, Grambling State University will offer an accident only plan for full-time domestic students and a sickness and accident plan for all international students.  Students will be automatically enrolled and billed for the College-endorsed student insurance plan per semester and summer sessions through Student Accounts.  It is the student’s responsibility to verify whether or not the charge has been applied to your account.

Domestic students may purchase a sickness and accident plan through an insurance agency or the federal marketplace.  Students may choose to remain on their parent’s insurance plan until the age of 26, apply for Medicaid, or take the health insurance penalty. 

Students may elect to be exempt from the insurance plans if proof of other health insurance coverage is furnished.  The deadlines for exemptions are posted on the Foster-Johnson Health Center webpage and will be strictly enforced. 

For more information, please visit the website at

Student Counseling and Wellness Resource Center (SCWRC)


The mission of the Student Counseling and Wellness Resource Center is to facilitate Grambling State University’s students’ learning by helping reduce emotional symptoms and developmental stressors, cope with difficult life events, and balance academic and social life. SCWRC accomplishes these tasks by providing premium, time-effective, and culturally-sensitive therapy, educational resources, consultation, outreach, making the proper referrals when needed, training, and a providing a systemic approach to wellness.



Interactions with Counseling Services are confidential. . The staff adheres to professional standards with regard to confidentiality. Any information acquired during the counseling process is not shared unless student sign a release of information.   SCWRC is mandated to report or disclose student files if they poses a clear danger to self or others, or is reporting child or elder abuse or by court order.


Crisis Intervention

Counselors are available as a resource to all GSU staff and faculty members to provide help to students who may be in crisis. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to discuss their situation.  Counselors will listen and refer students if on-going personal counseling or therapy is needed. Faculty, staff and friends of students are also encouraged to refer or walk students who might be in crisis to the counseling center.


Disability Services

The University is committed to equal working and learning opportunities for disabled students, faculty, and staff and recognizes that accommodations or modifications may be necessary to ensure access. SCWRC provide service designed to promote full inclusion and participation in the educational experience and campus life.  The Student Counseling and Wellness Resource Center reviews disability documentations, certifies eligibility for services, determines reasonable accommodations, and provides or arranges for reasonable accommodations.  SCWRC provides services to students with temporary health issues or a permanent disability.  You can learn about eligibility requirements and how to apply for accommodations through SCWRC office.  SCWRC is here to assist students in a timely manner, regardless of location or modality of your course of study.

After completing your application process, the Disability Counselor will assist you to determine eligibility and identify what types of accommodations are available. We will not disclose health issues or specific diagnoses. It’s your choice whether to disclose your health information to faculty or classmates.


Contact Information:

Appointments can be made in person or by calling (318) 274-3277.

In case of emergency situations or after 5:00 pm, contact the Campus Police, at extension 2222 or call 911, or go to your nearest hospital or emergency,

Physical Location: Foster-Johnson Health Center West Wing, Central Street

Address: GSU Box 4306 Foster-Johnson, Grambling, LA 71245

Phone: (318) 274-3277

Fax: (318) 274-3114

Office Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday SCWRC coordinates accommodations for students with medical/psychological disabilities. Students who are currently enrolled, or planning to enroll at the university, should obtain current documentation of their disabilities if they wish to seek accommodations. The documentation should be made available to Student Counseling Services prior to the first day of classes.

Residential Life

Residential Life strives to promote academic success by creating positive living and learning environments for students. Residential Life is committed to creating a community where student participation and good citizenship are encouraged. The Resident Assistant (RA) program, administered by Residential Life, enables students living in residence halls to develop leadership skills.

A part of the residential hall experience is learning to live and interact with other people from different racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds. We regard multiculturalism as integral to the very spirit of the residential environment and challenge our residents to be open to learning about others while sharing of themselves.  To this end, students are guided to develop a growing sense of maturity and responsibility by participating in residential life activities.


Application Procedures

Students planning to live on-campus must complete an On-Campus Residence Hall Application and return it with a NON REFUNDABLE $50.00 APPLICATION FEE and a $150 ROOM RESERVATION FEE.  The Room Reservation Fee is non-refundable after the priority application deadline for that semester.  Please mail your application and money order/cashier’s check to the Department of Residential Life, 403 Main St., P.O. Box 540 Grambling, LA 71245.  Students may also apply and pay using our on-line process, students must be officially admitted to the university in order to use this process.  Payment can also be made by credit/debit card by calling the Cashier’s Office at 318-274-6253/318-274-2671.  ALL students must pay the total $200.00 fee regardless of financial aid award (loans, scholarships, rehabilitation aid, etc.).  Students who are applying to live on-campus for Summer School only, will need to pay the $50 Application Fee.


Residence Requirement

The University of Louisiana Systems adopted a resolution on November 14, 1969, affecting the housing policy at Grambling State University and all of the colleges and universities under its jurisdiction. In compliance with the State Board Resolution, Grambling State University adopted an on-campus residence requirement. The resolution further defined the on-campus residence requirements to include a framework within which the colleges and universities may grant exemptions to the general regulation according to the respective university’s unique academic qualities.


On-Campus Housing Rules

ALL unmarried, full or part-time undergraduate students, whether emancipated or not, with less than 60 earned credit hours are required to live in on-campus residence halls unless an exemption request is filed with and approved by the Director of Residential Life to reside off-campus with the following:

  1. In any case where it appears that a full-time undergraduate student will otherwise suffer significant hardship or because of sufficient financial, medical, or other documented reasons;
  2. In the case of older students as, for example, (a) returning military veteran; (b) previously married person with proper documentation and persons with a documented biological child  living with them; or
  3. In the case of a student who suffers from a serious medical condition (documentation required) or requires special accommodations/specifications that the university is not able to meet; or,
  4. Undergraduate students living with parent, sibling and/or legal guardians (documentation required).


Order of Exemptions When Space Is Not Available

The order of priority in the granting of permission to live off-campus shall be as follows: seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen, respectively. In addition, the following rules of priority shall be applied:

  1. Students with 60 credit hours or more.
  2. Students who resided in off-campus housing for the longest period of time since attending the institution; and
  3. The order of date of the application filed.

Exemptions to the requirement for on-campus residence hall living, when the residence halls are filled, will be made according to the following priority:

  1. Undergraduate students who wish to live with a close relative, defined as grandparent, aunt or uncle (documentation needed)
  2. Students with 60 credit hours or more.
  3. Date application was received.


Right to Appeal

Any student who has applied for and has been denied an exemption to the on-campus residence requirements shall have the right to appeal such decision to the proper officials in accordance with the provisions and administrative procedures for appeals authorized and established pursuant to the authority of ACT 59 of 1969 (L.R.S. 17:3101).


Terms Under Which Rooms Are Assigned

The following are terms under which rooms in residence halls are assigned. 

  • A student’s contract for room assignment is on an academic year basis (Fall to Spring semester). Any student not withdrawing from school, but moving off-campus by choice and without official university approval, will pay residence hall costs, meals and mailbox fees for the remainder of the semester after the fourteenth (14th) class day for Fall and Spring Semesters and seventh (7th) class day for the Summer Session.
  • Students living in residence halls are required to purchase appropriate meal plans for eating in the University Dining facility and will be charged a mailbox fee.
  • Students who specify mutual roommate and residence hall preferences are placed as requested, if possible. All assignments are made based on available space and timely submission of all documents. If student is requesting roommate preferences, all applications and payments must be submitted at the same time and all students must be officially admitted in order for request to be accommodated.
  • Certain regulations have been established for the maintenance of good living and safety conditions in the residence halls. Students agree to follow public regulations in accepting their room assignments. (University Handbook, Code of Student Conduct and Residential Life Bulletins)
  • Permission to exchange, transfer, or vacate rooms must have prior approval of the Department of Residential Life.
  • Upon accepting an assignment, a student understands that authorized University representatives will have access to the room when in conjunction with official university business.
  • Room assignments and/or keys non- transferable.
  • The student assignment contract stipulates on-campus occupancy, only, during the time the academic program is operative as stated in the catalog.
  • Students wishing to cancel their room assignment must do so in writing thirty (30) days before the beginning of the semester for which housing is required. Unless such cancellation is made, pro-rated room rent charges shall be applied and room reservation fee is forfeited.
  • Upon check-out from a residential facility, a student is responsible for removal of all personal belongings. The university assumes NO liability for abandoned items. The purchase of Personal Property Insurance is recommended.  Also note that a student’s property may be covered under the parent’s Home Owners Insurance Policy.
  • Students, who have not completed registration by the opening of the residence halls, may be required to pay all or a portion of room and board costs.
  • Assignment requests are honored based on available space and are not guaranteed.

Room Cancelation Forms must be submitted to the Housing Office by the last day of classes for that semester.

Student Activities & Organizations

Favrot Student Union

The Favrot Student Union strives to enhance the quality of student life by providing students with opportunities to participate fully in extracurricular activities and programs. The Favrot Student Union serves as the “community” center for Grambling State University and seeks to provide quality and beneficial services to the student population.

Activities sponsored and supported by the Favrot Student Union are an integral part of the educational program at GSU. These activities afford students the opportunity for social interaction, recreation, relaxation, and leadership.

The student union is involved with a wide range of student development endeavors such as Miss Grambling State University and the Royal Court, leadership development programs, and the lyceum and concert series. The student union through its work with students fosters their growth and development and seeks to enrich their collegiate/university experience.


Office of Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL)

The Office of Student Engagement and Leadership (SEAL) is the coordinating unit for all organizations at GSU. There are a variety of organizations from which to choose that will suit the needs of most students. Through the years, students have learned about civic responsibility and activism through their involvement in student organizations. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to use this resource to get involved and make a difference in the lives of others whether at the University, the local community or beyond.

Additional information regarding student organizations may be obtained from the SEAL office or by reading the Student Handbook. The student organization office is located in the Favrot Student Union, Office # 218. The office telephone number is (318) 274-3334.

Organizations eligible to register at GSU include departmental, professional, honors, leadership organizations, special interest groups (political, religious, athletic, etc.) and social fraternities and sororities.

The following are but a few examples of the organizations currently authorized on campus.


Student Government Association (SGA)

The Student Government Association at Grambling State University is the representative and governing body of the students. The Student Government Association is divided into three branches: Executive, Legislative; and Judicial, which work together to promote activities and improve campus life at Grambling State University. This organization is directly responsible for bringing the interests and concerns of the students to the attention of the administration.The SGA represents the GSU student body at State Board meetings, state and national meetings of SGA representatives, and at public functions on and off the campus. Additional SGA involvement includes: serving as student representatives on university committees; sponsoring campus-wide projects and activities for GSU students; providing hospitality and special services for visitors such as SGA officers from other universities, guest speakers, and state officials; spearheading community service projects; supporting campus organizations; and working with the university community in an effort to promote, strengthen, and move Grambling State University forward.

While all undergraduate students enrolled at the university are actually “members” of the Student Government Association, there are specific positions that students can hold: Volunteers, Elected Officers/Queens, and Appointed Officials.


Class Organizations

Senior Class Organization, Junior Class Organization, Sophomore Class Organization, Freshman Class Organization, Graduate Student Organization (GSA)


Favrot Student Union Board

The Favrot Student Union Board is a student based organization through which six committees organize a variety of student activities. Each committee has chairpersons that organizes events and reports to the board weekly. The Advisory board consists of the following: president, vice president, administrative assistant, business manager, chairpersons/co-chairpersons, and several representatives. The professional staff offers support and guidance to ensure compliance with the university’s regulations. Every student can become a member of the Favrot Student Union Board.


National Pan Hellenic Organizations (NPHC)

Fraternities: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma

Sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Zeta Phi Beta


Academic Organizations

American Marketing Association, Bachelors Association of Social Work (BASW), Biology Club, Cross Cultural Club, Council of Black Engineers and Scientist, Hospitality Club


Honor Societies

Alpha Lambda Delta, Beta Kappa Chi, FCS Honor Society, Golden Key National Honor Society, Kappa Delta Pi, Phi Alpha, Phi Epsilon Kappa, Sigma Alpha Pi


Professional Organizations

Association of Computing Machinery, Grambling Council of Black Engineers and Scientists, Health Professions Club, Health Services Administration, Hotel/Restaurant Management Club, American Marketing Association, Kinesiology/Sports Leaders Association, Minority Association of Pre-Medical Students, National Association of Black Accountants, National Association for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers, Phi Beta Lambda, Researching Teachers in Residence, Student Nurses Association


Social Service Organizations

Groove Phi Groove, Omega Tau Pi, United African American Men (UAAM), The Society of Distinguished Black Women (DBW), Swing Phi Swing, California Club, Chicago Club, Caribbean Student Organization (CALYPSO) Cameroon Student Organization (CAMLEAD), International Student Organization


Special Interest Groups

Modeling Troupes: Black Dynasty, Prestige Modeling Troupe, Campus AIDS Prevention (CAP), National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)

Music Groups: Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Sigma Alpha Iota, Phi Mu Alpha

Religious Organizations: Chi Alpha, Students with a Testimony (SWAT), United Campus Ministry, Advent Youth Fellowship


Tiger Marching Band

The Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band, world renowned for its fast and intricate dance steps, has traveled throughout the United States and to other countries. Prospective students who are interested in a try-out to join the Tiger Marching Band should send an email to


The Orchesis

The Orchesis was founded to accomplish four major purposes: (1) to train dancers aesthetically; (2) to develop high artistic standards and to foster appreciation of dance as an art form; (3) to create a community awareness of modern dance and make it an accessible experience; and (4) to develop an on-going repertoire that educates as it entertains. The Orchesis performs with the Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band. The Orchesis dancers have appeared at the Bayou Classic in the New Orleans Superdome and were invited to appear with the Tiger Marching Band in Tokyo, Japan. Additionally, the Orchesis appears annually as a featured attraction at GSU football games. During the spring, applications are taken to join the band camp which is a practice session for veterans and a training session for prospective Orchesis dancers. Walk-ons are allowed, and if the student’s performance meets specific standards, the student will be offered the opportunity to become a part of the Orchesis.


GSU Tiger Cheerleaders

The GSU Tiger Cheerleaders enhance spirit at GSU; improve student moral; and promote the importance of physical fitness. Tryouts are evaluated by a panel of qualified judges on fundamental cheerleading skills, motion, tumbling, partner stunts, showmanship, etc. Tryouts are usually held during the end of the spring semester.

GSU Cheerleaders are expected to maintain at least 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) and participate in all home games (basketball and football).

Recreation/Intramural Sports

The mission of the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports is to organize, administer, and promote a broad and diversified program of activities and services for students, faculty and staff of Grambling State University.

The Grambling State University, Recreation/Intramural Sports program is designed for the purpose of providing the entire university community with opportunities to participate in a variety of formal and informal activities. These activities encompass competitive and noncompetitive team sports, individual, and dual sports. In addition to the obvious benefit of learning, and physical fitness, it is hoped that participants will also obtain from this program improved skills, new friends, self-satisfaction and enjoyment, lifelong leisure time skills, and ethical values.

It is expected that every student who participates in intramural activities will benefit by learning the skills and establishing life-long patterns of the participation in a variety of sports.The overall program includes the following areas:

Informal Recreation: A variety of recreational activities are available for participants through self-directed involvement and utilization of campus recreational facilities. Activities include weightlifting, racquetball/ handball, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, tennis, jogging/walking, volleyball and badminton.

Intramural Sports: These programs provide various structured sports opportunities to satisfy as many skill levels as possible. Schedules and controlled tournaments that include elimination, league, challenge, and meet type experiences are provided. Opportunities are included for men, women, and coed play with appropriate rules. Activities include flag football, racquetball, volleyball, basketball, softball, tennis, table tennis, badminton, and soccer. 

Club Sports: This program area permits and encourages interest groups to organize themselves around a particular sport. These groups involve exceptionally skilled participants who generally initiate the organization, and then provide the leadership necessary to insure growth and success. Activities include powerlifting, karate, bowling, racquetball, volleyball, tennis, soccer, wrestling, softball and basketball.

Special Events: This program area introduces new programs and expands existing ones within and beyond sports. These may represent the unusual and diverse needs of the campus community. This area allows creative programming to include all areas of sport and quasi-sport involvement. Activities include Schick 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament, Reebok Spot-Shot Contest, Hot Shot Contest, Slam Dunk, 3-Point Shoot-Out, Table Top Football, Track Meets, Fitness Week and Cycling Relay.

Instructional Classes: These programs provide learning opportunities for participants in such a way as to improve their skills and knowledge in order to enhance enjoyment relevant to sports participation. Clinics, workshops, and skill sessions are used towards achieving this end. Activities include aerobics, tennis, karate, physical fitness/wellness, weight training/body mechanics and soccer.

Extramural: Extramural participation is a new and growing component of intramural sports. Extramural, defined as “outside the walls,” provides additional sport opportunities to compete against other colleges and universities. This may be through local, state, regional and national competition. Special sport contests and qualifying information is available for the intramural sport office.

Entry Procedures: Entry forms and activity schedules may be picked up in the Intramural Complex. Rosters must be completed and returned to the Intramural Office before the entry deadline. Late entries will be placed on a waiting list and included if possible.

  1. Team rosters must include first and last names, student identification numbers, addresses, and telephone numbers of team managers.
  2. Schedules will be made available to all team managers approximately two days after an activity deadline. Schedules may be picked up during regular working hours at the Intramural Office. The Intramural Department WILL NOT be responsible for sending out schedules or notifying captains of schedule changes unless changes come into effect within twenty-four hours of the particular contest.
  3. A team member’s name must be on the team roster in the Intramural Office twenty-four hours before he or she competes.

Eligibility: All students, graduate and undergraduate, who are currently enrolled in the University shall automatically become eligible to participate in all intramural activities and shall retain that status until they withdraw from the University or fail to comply with the intramural rules and regulations.

Athletic Eligibility: A squad member of any current varsity sport is ineligible for intramural competition in that sport. Any man or woman who has played at the professional level in any sport shall be ineligible to participate in the intramural program in that particular sport.

Medical Eligibility: All students taking part in the intramural program must have a health form on file with the health center stipulating proper health. The Intramural Office reserves the right to require proof of a health examination prior to specific activities. Any student injured in intramural competition to the extent that he/she must be treated by a doctor is considered ineligible until he/she submits a written authorization from the doctor to the Intramural Office giving him/her authorization to participate.


Recreation/Intramural Student Advisory Council

The GSU Recreation/Intramural Student Advisory Council serves in an advisory capacity to the director and staff of the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports. It provides communication between departmental staff and program participants, and gives Grambling State University students, faculty and staff the opportunity for input. The Advisory Council’s composition includes a chairperson, secretary, eight (8) representatives, two (2) faculty/staff persons, the director and a designee of the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports.


Insurance and Liability

ALL INTRAMURAL PARTICIPANTS ARE URGED TO PURCHASE STUDENT INSURANCE FOR THEIR OWN PROTECTION. Since participation in the recreation/ intramural sports program is on a voluntary basis, neither the University nor the Department of Recreation/Intramural Sports will accept responsibility for injuries sustained during, before or after scheduled intramural contests or the general recreation program.

NOTE: Other policies and procedures can be found in the Recreation/Intramural Sports Handbook located in the Recreational/ Intramural Sports Center.

Office of Career Services

The Office of Career Services strives to enhance the overall educational experience of its students by assisting with educating the “total” student.  This includes Personal and Professional Development.  It is the Center’s goal to give many professional experiences that will mimic those found in everyday life.  Our programs will provide services that will create opportunities for employers, students, faculty, and staff of our University to engage in partnerships that will meet the needs of an ever-changing society. The Office of Career Services is located in the Jacob T. Stewart Bldg., Suite 130.


Registration Process for Career Services

All entering GSU students will be asked to register with the Office of Career Services during their freshmen year.  Students will be assessed and given a list of services provided. This includes taking the Focus II Assessment.  The results will be shared with students’ advisors. Registration includes completion of profile, Focus II Assessment, TigerWorks account set up, identify who their Career Counselor will be, schedule a meeting this their Advisor, and a review of the Career Services Policies for GSU Students.


Career Services Policy for GSU Students:

  • Register with Career Services during first semester enrolled.
  • Attend two professional development sessions per semester (16 required prior to graduation).
  • Meet with career counselor to complete profile.
  • Enroll in classification-level based career course.
  • Attend at least two (2) job fairs prior to junior year.
  • Participate in mock interview session (must have completed 3 professional development sessions)


Process for Awarding Internships to Grambling State University Students

So that students will get the experiences of work, all students are asked to follow the Internship process in order to be awarded an Internship.  This process will help to enhance student success for employment upon graduation.


  1. Career Services will check for the following:
  2. The Internship Administrator (Dean/Dept. Head/Faculty) will then submit name to career Services with contact information.
  3. The Academic Dean/Department Head/Faculty member will select the internship to be awarded.
    1. GPA
    2. Classes to be taken prior to applying for internship.
    3. Required Number of Hours.
    4. Any other academic experiences needed.
  4. They will list requirements for Departmental approval.
    1. Must be registered with Career Services, have been assessed and have a Tier Works account with an approved resume on file.
    2. Student must have attended at least three Career Services Professional Development sessions prior to applying for an internship or have scheduled three appointments with their Career Counselor for internship prep.
    3. Student must schedule an appointment with their Career Counselor to discuss behavior, workplace ethics, etc.
    4. Counselor will see if there is a GSU Alum in the area that can serve as mentor for the student while they are there. If not the Career Counselor will serve as mentor coupled with the Internship Administrator.
    5. Upon their return, students will do an Internship session with students that are interested in an internship in the future.
  5. After student has completed work with the Career Counselor, an approval from will be signed and return to internship Administrator.

Selection must be done in a timely manner so that prior to final approval, required sessions can be completed.  Therefore at least two weeks should be given for the approval process. (See Approval Forms on Career Services Website.)

Vehicle Registration, Parking, and Traffic

Students must register their automobiles with the University Police at the beginning of the academic year. On campus students are not allowed to drive to class. Students are to park at their respective dormitories during class time. A given registration expires the day before the beginning of a new academic year. Registration requires proof of insurance, proof that the vehicle is properly registered in a state, and a valid driver license. Students must park in designated parking areas. Violators will receive parking tickets that must be paid prior to the end of the semester in which they are received. Students must obey the laws governing the operation of automobiles in the state of Louisiana. Students who violate registration, parking, and/or traffic laws will lose the privilege of driving an automobile on campus.

Campus Ministry

A campus ministry operates through the sponsorship of Baptist Collegiate Ministries (BCM). The ministry functions ecumenically in advising students on the availability of religious services to meet their needs and preferences. The ministry provides spiritual counseling and guidance on ethical issues to students who request such a service. The ministry makes available to students information about lectures, and programs of a religious nature. The ministry is concerned about the moral and spiritual development of students, faculty, and staff who seek assistance with morality and spirituality.

Center for International Affairs and Programs

The Center for International Affairs and Programs (CIAP) was established in 2005. The purpose of the CIAPis to lead the campus’ internationalization effort and to facilitate international exchange through a range of access points.  The International Center advocates and creates opportunities for a university community with a diverse global perspective and culture. The Center implements best professional practices for the vision of campus internationalization, leading the effort in international student recruitment, admission, and retention & services.  Persons interested in obtaining information about programs conducted by the Center, please contact:  The International Programs Admissions Counselor, 100 Founder Street, Grambling Hall, Suite 222, Grambling, LA 71245;Tel: (318) 274-7790; Fax: (318) 274-6000;