Grambling State University Web Logo Grambling State University Print Logo Grambling State University Web Logo

Student Conduct

Student Conduct

Student Conduct FAQ

Parent's Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is Student Conduct?

Answer: The Office of Student Conduct serves the University community by administering the student judicial system. Anytime a student has violated the Code of Student Their case will be referred to this office.

Question: At what point, or under what circumstances, will I be notified of my son/daughter’s judicial status?
Answer: In accordance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the University cannot contact or share information about a student’s judicial record without the student’s written permission. However, the 1998 amendment (SEC. 952) allows the university to contact parents for students who are responsible for violating the alcohol or drug policy.

Question: Since I pay for my son/daughter’s tuition/housing/etc., shouldn’t I have the right to know about any trouble he or she may get into?
Answer: The director is always available to discuss general information about the discipline process, University regulations, and related laws. It is important to know that federal law prohibits staff from releasing any information about a student’s involvement in the disciplinary process without the student’s written permission, even to family members (i.e. mother, father, etc).

Question: How can parents help their son/daughter who has been accused of a code of violation?
Answer: Some students want direct family involvement for emotional support, case preparation, advice, and decision-making. These students may wish to have a family member serve as their advisor. Occasionally, a student may not want to inform family members about his or her involvement in the disciplinary process. Parents who are contacted by their son/daughter about pending disciplinary action may want to suggest that the student sign an authorization (i.e. Release of Information Form) allowing the director to talk with their parents about the case.

Question: Should my son/daughter have an attorney?
Answer: A student may have a legal advisor accompany him/her to a hearing before the campus judicial board. The legal advisor may not represent the student, only advise them. Student’s who retain attorneys do so at their own expense.

Grambling State University
Office of Student Conduct
GSU Box 4309
Grambling, LA 71245
(318) 274-6149