Student Types

First-Time Freshman - An entering freshman who has never attended any college (or other postsecondary institution). Includes students enrolled in the fall term who attended college for the first time in the prior summer term. Also includes students who entered with advanced standing (college credits earned before graduation from high school).

High Ability (Summer Program) – The High Ability Program is a summer program offered to rising high school seniors (juniors going to 12th grade) who are academically talented.  The participants will earn college credits and experience college campus life.  For details about the program, contact Carolyn Collier at 318-274-6220 (

Undergraduate Transfer - if you have enrolled in a regionally accredited institution you are considered a transfer student.   Note:  If you have earned less than 18 semester hours of college-level work, but have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, then you must meet the admissions criteria for first-time freshmen.  You will still be a transfer student.

Re-Admit Student–if you previously attended Grambling State University and have not attended for at least one regular semester, and you have not enrolled in another institution since last enrolled at GSU, you are considered a re-admit student.

Former/Transfer Student –if you previously attended Grambling State University, and have attended another college since last enrolled at GSU, you are considered a former/transfer student.

Non-traditional Student – if you are a degree-seeking student 25 years of age or older, you are considered a non-traditional student. You must meet the admissions criteria for new students (freshmen). 

Transient (Non-Degree Seeking) - A student who intends to enroll in one or more courses at Grambling State University, but whose home institution is another campus is considered a Transient (or Visiting Student).

International students- if you are not a United States citizen or do not have a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), you are considered an international student.  Please visit the Center for International Affairs & Programs for detailed admission information.

Graduate Admissions - An applicant for admission to a master's degree program or Education Specialist’s degree program must have a bachelor's degree.   Prerequisite degrees must be from institutions accredited by agencies recognized by Grambling State University.   Please visit Graduate Admissions for details.