Program Review - Timing and Processes
Program Review normally occurs during the fall or spring semester of the academic
year in which the review is scheduled. This timing increases the chances that program
faculty, staff, and students are available for the site visit. Any exceptions to
this scheduling structure must be approved by the Office of the Provost.
The Year Before the Review
- January: The Office of Institutional Effectiveness notifies Department Chairs/Heads
of the scheduled review. The Department Chair/Head begins the planning process for
completing the review during the following academic year. If scheduling concerns
arise, the Department Chair/head must consult with the College Dean and the Office
of the Provost to resolve the problem.
- March: Accredited programs communicate their accreditation review schedule to the
Office of the Provost by the end of March.
- April: Non-accredited programs, in consultation with their College Dean and the Office
of the Provost, select external consultants, negotiate with selected consultants as
needed, determine the review schedule, and communicate the review plan to the Office
of the Provost by the end of April.
The Year of the Review
- As scheduled, the department completes a comprehensive self-study of the program.
- The department concludes all internal reviews and approvals, and submits the self-study
to the accreditor/reviewers. Digital copies of the self study shall be provided to
the Office of the Provost and the Office of Institutional Effectiveness for record-keeping
- The department completes the review as scheduled during the fall or spring semester.
After the Review
- The department receives a report from the reviewers no later than six weeks after
the on-site review.
- In consultation with the College Dean, the department prepares a response to the reviewers'
findings. This report must include the Unit Implementation Plan.
- The department ensures that the reviewers' report and the departmental/college responses
are received by the Office of the Provost and the Office of Institutional Effectiveness
no later than four weeks after receipt of the reviewers' report.
- The department will submit Annual Progress reports for all recommendations included
in the Unit Implementation Plan until the timeline is complete. Annual Progress Reports
shall be submitted to the Office of the Provost and the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
- Accredited programs shall forward all copies of self-study and reaccreditation communication
between the accrediting agency and the department to the Office of the Provost and
Office of Institutional Effectiveness (e.g., substantive change letter, reaffirmation
letter, additional information requests).