Grambling State University confers degrees at its summer (no ceremony), fall and spring commencements. Students who meet degree requirements will have
their degrees conferred. Candidates for graduation will submit applications to their
college (Dean’s Office) according to the date listed in the academic calendar.
Deadline to Apply for 2023 Summer Graduation: July 14, 2023
Deadline to Apply for 2023 Fall Graduation: September 8, 2023
Please click here for steps of how to apply for graduation on-line!
- Testing: Please contact your department in regards to any departmental testing that may be
required for graduation.
- Residency: Earn at least 25 percent of the required credit hours for graduation in residence
for the bachelor’s degree.
- Transfer Credits: Students who have approval to take courses at another institution during their last
semester should have transcripts forwarded to the GSU Registrar’s Office at least
two weeks prior to graduation in order to participate in commencement.
- Academic Regalia: Academic regalia can be purchased in the Barnes and Nobles Bookstore, at the scheduled
Grad Fair (Regalia: Graduation Regalia is available in the bookstore for purchase) or online at grambling.shopoakhalli.com. Please contact the bookstore for costs and dates for renting/purchasing attire.
Graduation announcements are also available through the bookstore.
- Honors: Students who graduate with honors are recognized at commencement by wearing gold
cords with academic regalia.
- On-Line Graduation Clearances: It is the prospective graduate’s responsibility to ensure that all obligations to
the University have been met. Departments must clear all holds on-line for candidates
for graduation to participate in graduation ceremonies and receive an official graduation
diploma. Students can monitor the clearance process via their Bannerweb Accounts.
Students with delinquent accounts will NOT be allowed to participate in the academic
procession. (Click here for the On-Line Graduation Clearance Process Document for additional information
and to access all necessary documents.)
- Degrees in Absentia: Candidates for graduation are expected to be present for commencement exercise unless
written approval to be absent is given by the candidate’s Academic Dean. A copy should
be filed in the Registrar’s Office, Grambling Hall, Room 18. Diplomas will be mailed
the week following commencement for those approved candidates for graduation who could
not participate in commencement exercises.
- Career Planning & Placement: Seniors are encouraged to utilize services of the Career Planning and Placement Center
for employment and professional school information as well as to refine their interviewing
and other job search skills. The Career Planning and Placement Center is located on
the first floor of Jacob T. Stewart Building. You must register at the center as part
of the clearance process.
- Reapplying for Graduation: If all degree requirements are not met at the end of the semester in which a student
applies for graduation, he/she must submit another complete application for graduation.
- Graduation Photographs: Proofs of photos from commencement will be mailed to the home address of each student
for purchase consideration. Please make certain that your mailing address is correct
in the Registrar’s Office. You may view addresses on BannerWeb. For healthy and safety
reasons, the photographer will not provide sample gowns for the photos. Students
must wear their own personal gowns which are available for purchase in the bookstore
prior to the grad fair or purchased at the grad fair before photos are taken.
- Rehearsal: All students who plan to participate in commencement must attend the rehearsal at
9:00 a.m. in the Assembly Center. Instructions are given on conduct, wearing academic
attire, assembling and receiving diplomas. Line up and seating assignments are made.
Graduation Rehearsal Dates
- Fall 2023 - Wednesday. December 13, 2023, at 9:00 A.M.
- Summer 2023-No Ceremony
- Fall 2023 - December 15, 2023, at 10:00 A.M.
- Fall 2023 - October 4-5, 2023, from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Take I-20 (west from Monroe, Louisiana or Jackson, Mississippi east from Shreveport
or Dallas, Texas) to Exit 81. Drive 1¼ miles south on R. W. E. Jones Drive follow
the signs to the Assembly Center.