Grambling State University confers degrees at its summer (no ceremony), fall and spring commencements. Students who meet degree requirements will have their degrees conferred. Candidates for graduation will submit applications to their college (Dean’s Office) according to the date listed in the academic calendar.
Apply On-line for 2021 Summer and Fall Graduation! April 1, 2021
Please click here for steps of how to apply for graduation on-line!
- Testing: Please contact your department in regards to any departmental testing that may be required for graduation.
- Residency: Earn at least 25 percent of the required credit hours for graduation in residence for the bachelor’s degree.
- Transfer Credits: Students who have approval to take courses at another institution during their last semester should have transcripts forwarded to the GSU Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to graduation in order to participate in commencement.
- Academic Regalia: Academic regalia can be purchased in the Barnes and Nobles Bookstore, at the scheduled Grad Fair (TBD in the Favrot Student Union) or online at grambling.shopoakhalli.com. Please contact the bookstore for costs and dates for renting/purchasing attire. Graduation announcements are also available through the bookstore.
- Honors: Students who graduate with honors are recognized at commencement by wearing gold cords with academic regalia.
- On-Line Graduation Clearances: It is the prospective graduate’s responsibility to ensure that all obligations to the University have been met. Departments must clear all holds on-line for candidates for graduation to participate in graduation ceremonies and receive an official graduation diploma. Students can monitor the clearance process via their Bannerweb Accounts. Students with delinquent accounts will NOT be allowed to participate in the academic procession. (Click here for the On-Line Graduation Clearance Process Document for additional information and to access all necessary documents.)
- Degrees in Absentia: Candidates for graduation are expected to be present for commencement exercise unless written approval to be absent is given by the candidate’s Academic Dean. A copy should be filed in the Registrar’s Office, Grambling Hall, Room 18. Diplomas will be mailed the week following commencement for those approved candidates for graduation who could not participate in commencement exercises.
- Career Planning & Placement: Seniors are encouraged to utilize services of the Career Planning and Placement Center for employment and professional school information as well as to refine their interviewing and other job search skills. The Career Planning and Placement Center is located on the first floor of Jacob T. Stewart Building. You must register at the center as part of the clearance process.
- Reapplying for Graduation: If all degree requirements are not met at the end of the semester in which a student applies for graduation, he/she must submit another complete application for graduation.
- Graduation Photographs: Proofs of photos from commencement will be mailed to the home address of each student for purchase consideration. Please make certain that your mailing address is correct in the Registrar’s Office. You may view addresses on BannerWeb. For healthy and safety reasons, the photographer will not provide sample gowns for the photos. Students must wear their own personal gowns which are available for purchase in the bookstore prior to the grad fair or purchased at the grad fair before photos are taken.
- Rehearsal: All students who plan to participate in commencement must attend the rehearsal at 9:00 a.m. in the Assembly Center. Instructions are given on conduct, wearing academic attire, assembling and receiving diplomas. Line up and seating assignments are made.
Graduation Rehearsal Dates
- Fall 2021- TBD
- Spring 2022- TBD
- Fall 2021
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 - 9:00 A.M.
Graduate Studies (only the following degree programs)
Doctor of Education, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Arts in Social Sciences, Master of Education in Special Education, Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Master of Public Administration, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Developmental Education, Master of Science in Sports Administration, Master of Science in Nursing, Master of Social Work, Post Master’s Certificate
- Thursday, December 16, 2021 – 9:00 A.M.
College of Education
Kinesiology, Leisure Studies, Teacher Education degree programs
College of Professional Studies
Criminal Justice, Mass Communications, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology
- Friday, December 17, 2021 – 9:00 A.M.
College of Arts & Sciences
Biology, Chemistry, Child Development & Early Literacy, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Engineering Technology, English, General Studies, History, Mathematics & Physics, Music, Political Science, Visual & Performing Arts
College of Business
Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Economics, Management, Marketing
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 - 9:00 A.M.
- Spring 2022
- Thursday, May 12, 2022 – 9:00 A.M.
- Friday, May 13, 2022 – 9:00 A.M.
- Summer 2022-No Ceremony
Take I-20 (west from Monroe, Louisiana or Jackson, Mississippi east from Shreveport or Dallas, Texas) to Exit 81. Drive 1¼ miles south on R. W. E. Jones Drive follow the signs to the Assembly Center.