Registrar's Office

Academic Suspension

A student on academic probation will be suspended from Grambling State University at the conclusion of any semester or summer session in which a grade point average of at least 2.0 is not obtained. A firsttime freshman, admitted in good standing, will not be suspended prior to the completion of two semesters of enrollment. Registration will be canceled for a student who registers and is then suspended.

First Suspension: The first period of suspension is normally for one regular semester. A student who has been suspended for academic reasons must submit a written appeal in order to be readmitted. Readmission is not automatic and the student must provide evidence that his/her academic performance will be better if readmission is granted.

A student suspended from the University for the first time at the end of the spring semester may attend the summer session without appeal. If the cumulative GPA is raised to 2.0 or higher, the student is placed in academic good standing and the suspension period is lifted. The student may then attend the fall semester without appeal. If the cumulative GPA is not raised to a 2.0 or higher in the summer session, the suspension for the fall semester will remain in effect. In this case, only one suspension is counted against the student.

Second or Subsequent Suspension: A student suspended from the University for a second or subsequent time at the end of the spring semester may also attend summer school. To be readmitted to any semester other than the summer session, he/she must appeal.

Second or subsequent suspensions shall be for one calendar year. The student may then apply for readmission, which may be granted, delayed, or denied. Readmission is dependent on the evidence that the student is able to provide that his/her academic performance will meet the minimum criterion of a 2.00 grade point average.

An undergraduate student suspended from a System university may not enroll in another university within the System for at least one calendar year, but may enroll in a community college. To ensure minimal or no loss of credits upon return to the university, it is recommended that the student consult with his/her university advisor regarding the choice of courses to be taken at the community college. Credits earned under these conditions may be accepted for a degree at the suspending institution provided grades of “C” or higher are earned in each of the courses to be transferred.

While on suspension, only credits earned during the summer sessions will be considered by Grambling State University for credit. Students who plan to take courses during the summer at a community college must consult their academic advisors about the courses that they intend to take.

Transfer students who have been suspended from other systems may appeal to enroll at a University of Louisiana institution during the academic suspension period only if they have a 2.0 cumulative average. Appeals may be granted or denied.

Appeals: If a student is on academic suspension due to extenuating circumstances, he/she may send a written appeal for immediate reinstatement to his/her academic dean. If the dean accepts the appeal, the academic dean recommends reinstatement to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who renders a final decision. If reinstatement is approved or denied, the Vice President for Academic Affairs instructs the Office of Admissions to inform the student.

Supporting documents for the extenuating circumstances must be sent along with the letter of appeal. Gaining readmission by appeal does not remove the suspension from the academic records.