Registrar's Office

Change of Grade

After a grade is submitted to the Registrar’s Office, the instructor of record may change the grade with verification to his department head that an error was made in reporting the grade. If the instructor determines that an error was made in submitting the grade, a Grade Change Form, available in the office of the department head, must be initiated by the instructor immediately. Documentation to justify the change must be submitted with the form to the department head. The form must be approved by the department head and the dean of the college in which the course was offered. The form may be rejected with explanation at any stage in the approval process. If the grade change is approved by the college dean, the form and supporting documentation will be submitted by the dean to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Once the Vice President for Academic Affairs approves the grade change the instructor will be notified by the Office of the Vice President. The instructor will pick up an approved request and submit it to the Registrar to complete the grade change process. The Vice President will return all rejected grade changes to the appropriate college dean with written explanations. Explanations for rejection at any stage of the process will be shared by the party making the rejection with all persons involved in the process.

Materials submitted after the official completion of a course may not be used as a means of continuing the course and thus changing a previously submitted grade. Only the grade of “I” established at the end of the course may be changed into a regular grade by the submission of additional material agreed upon previously. Any change of “I” to a grade for undergraduate students must be received in the Registrar’s Office by a designated date after midterm of the following semester that the student is enrolled or within one calendar year if the student does not enroll. Incompletes must be removed within one year for graduate students. “I” grades for undergraduate students are calculated as “F.” The instructor cannot change a grade to “W.”

When applicable, an “IP” (In Progress) is awarded to students enrolled in special identified courses such as practicums, internships, and others in which course requirements are normally not completed within one term. The “IP” will remain until course requirements have been completed. At that time a regular grade will be awarded. No credit will be given until the “IP” is converted to a regular grade for the entire class. The deadline for grade changes is 60 days after the end of the semester, unless the student has submitted a written appeal (see Procedure for Appealing a Grade).

Grade Change Policy