Grambling State University confers degrees at its summer (no ceremony), fall and spring commencements. Students who meet degree requirements will have their degrees conferred. Candidates for graduation will submit applications to their college (Dean’s Office) according to the date listed in the academic calendar.
- Testing: Please contact your department in regards to any departmental testing that may be required for graduation.
- Residency: Earn at least 25 percent of the required credit hours for graduation in residence for the bachelor’s degree and at least 25 percent of the required credit hours for graduation in residence for the associate degree..
- Transfer Credits: Students who have approval to take courses at another institution during their last semester should have transcripts forwarded to the GSU Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to graduation in order to participate in commencement.
- Academic Regalia: Academic regalia are purchased through the GSU Bookstore. Forms should be picked up and returned to the bookstore - fee paid when regalia is picked up. Contact the bookstore for costs and dates for renting/purchasing attire. Graduation announcements are also available through the bookstore.
- Honors: Students who graduate with honors are recognized at commencement by wearing gold cords with academic regalia.
- Clearances: It is the prospective graduate’s responsibility to ensure that all obligations to the University have been met. A financial clearance form may be picked up in the academic department or at the cashier’s window. After all signatures have been obtained, a copy of the form should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at least one week prior to graduation. Students must also complete a financial aid exit interview. Students with delinquent accounts will NOT be allowed to participate in the academic procession.
- On-Line Graduation Clearances: It is the prospective graduate’s responsibility to ensure that all obligations to
the University have been met. Departments must clear all holds on-line for candidates
for graduation to participate in graduation ceremonies and receive an official graduation
diploma. Students can monitor the clearance process via their Bannerweb Accounts.
Students with delinquent accounts will NOT be allowed to participate in the academic
(Click here for the On-Line Graduation Clearance Process Document for additional information and to access all necessary documents.)
- Degrees in Absentia: Candidates for graduation are expected to be present for commencement exercise unless written approval to be absent is given by the candidate’s Academic Dean. A copy should be filed in the Registrar’s Office, Grambling Hall, Room 18. Diplomas will be mailed the week following commencement for those approved candidates for graduation who could not participate in commencement exercises.
- Career Planning & Placement: Seniors are encouraged to utilize services of the Career Planning and Placement Center for employment and professional school information as well as to refine their interviewing and other job search skills. The Career Planning and Placement Center is located on the first floor of Jacob T. Stewart Building. You must register at the center as part of the clearance process.
- Reapplying for Graduation: If all degree requirements are not met at the end of the semester in which a student applies for graduation, he/she must submit another complete application for graduation.
- Graduation Photographs: Proofs of photos from commencement will be mailed to the home address of each student for purchase consideration. Please make certain that your mailing address is correct in the Registrar’s Office. You may view addresses on BannerWeb.
- Rehearsal: All students who plan to participate in commencement must attend the rehearsal at 9:00 a.m. in the Assembly Center. Instructions are given on conduct, wearing academic attire, assembling and receiving diplomas. Line up and seating assignments are made.
Graduation Rehearsal Dates
- Spring 2019, Wednesday, May 8, 2019
- Fall 2019, Wednesday, December 11, 2019
- Spring 2020, Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- Spring 2019, Friday, May 10, 2019
- Summer 2019, Friday, August 2, 2019, (No Ceremony)
- Fall 2019, Friday, December 13, 2019
- Spring 2020, Friday, May 8, 2020
Take I-20 (west from Monroe, Louisiana or Jackson, Mississippi east from Shreveport or Dallas, Texas) to Exit 81. Drive 1¼ miles south on R. W. E. Jones Drive follow the signs to the Assembly Center.